Can the release description field be formated?

mcziomer May 30, 2022

Hello all,

we are working with releases in JIRA and it seems the description of releases can't be formatted. I tried markdown and HTML but it seems to be plain text. 

Is there any way to format it?

Cheers,

Marcus

2 answers

2 votes
mcziomer May 31, 2022

Hi, ok, I created a suggestion. I hope that is a quick fix.

Thanks,

Marcus

Jay Atman March 22, 2023

I am in need of this feature too @mcziomer . How/where would I go about adding additional comments to it?

As a Product Owner,

I want to be able to write a simple summary of the release content and list out bullet points of our target dates leading up to the eventual Release Date

so that my team can have a single source of truth for our milestones related to a release and view the content in an easy to read way.

gabor_torok1
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 30, 2023

I think this would be a very handy feature, I agree. For example, when you want to use JIRA together with ServiceNow, there's a strong need to synchronize the value of certain fields between the two systems. I'd like to specify e.g. release notes as part of a release, but this dummy field doesn't give me the functionality I need - I use ServiceNow instead. Hope Atlassian guys listen, because there's a missing value prop here.

0 votes
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2022
Hi Marcus,

Currently the Release Description field is a single line text field, so there is not Rich Text formatting capability on that field. There was a previous Suggestion to allow formatting within the Release Description field for Jira Server, but that was closed many years ago. I wasn't able to find a Suggestion submitted to the for the Jira Cloud for this type of functionality or any more recent request for this type of functionality.
If this is something you are interested potentially having added to a future release of Jira you can submit a new Suggestion requesting it for our Product Team to review the possibility of adding this type of formatting capability.

Best,
Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events