Can the Kanban "Release" button promote/modify issues?

James Black May 11, 2017

I'm working with many internal teams who like the Kanban style of releasing as needed.

We use a workflow of five status' which are mapped to a Kanban board:

ToDo -> In Progress -> Testing -> Ready for Release -> Closed

The Kanban board has the first four status' mapped to their own columns.
"Closed" is not mapped because who wants to look at "Closed" issues?
For us, this means that issues in the "Ready to Release" column are the ones to be released when we click the "Release" button.

When the "Release" button is clicked; we fill out the necessary fields and accept.
The issues are then cleared from the "Ready to Release" column.

Our problem is that the issues are still mapped to the "Ready to Release" status and are not the "Closed" status.

Can the "Release" button promote/modify issues?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2017

I don't think so.

(At least without setting using one of the scripting add-ons from the marketplace, writing your own add-on, or scripting using the JIRA REST API).

Hopefully others here can comment if they know a nice way of doing this or I'm missing anything obvious.

If you are really against just having the closed status on your Kanban and moving them there before release, here are some suggestions:

• Set up a 2nd board to do your releases on, with just the 'Ready for Release' and 'Closed' on it. The release process would be to move drag the issues to Closed then release.
  • Use Buik Change to update all released issues to Closed after the release is done.
  • Look into JIRA's support for triggering workflow transitions from certain development tools, in case that can help you.

Other things worth a look:

This old blog from Atlassian covers a similar scenario, so might help with some ideas: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/jira-release-management-steps

This suggestion is on similiar lines to what you are asking about, so worth a vote/watch: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-11692

James Black May 12, 2017

Thanks Sam,

I'll take a look at these options and see what works best for our teams.

Cheers,

James Black March 20, 2018

The ticket you linked is what we're looking for.

Voted and commented with request details.

Thanks again and sorry for the super late reply.

Suggest an answer