Can't start new sprint - no Start button

Eric DeMars January 18, 2019

I have a new Sprint I'm trying to start.  I filled in the details on the Start Sprint dialog, and nothing happens, and there is no Submit/Start button or anything like that to take action.  

How do I get this sprint started?

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.24.17 AM.png

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eric DeMars January 25, 2019

Found the problem - buggy UI.  I had zoomed in one or two levels in my browser, and this hid the Start/Cancel buttons from the Start Sprint popup.  The buttons are NOT in the main scrollable area so even if you scroll up and down they do not appear - they are completely hidden/inaccessible unless you zoom back out. 

Thanks again @Taranjeet Singh for your input - they are good basic checks as well.

nereida.restrepo August 25, 2021

Hello Eric DeMars, 

You saved the day today!!! 

I was going crazy trying to figure out how to close the print. Jira wasn't throwing any error messages telling me what was the problem. Right after reading your message above, I zoom out and walah...

Like Amal Farid Ibrahim likes this
Eric DeMars August 25, 2021

Nereida - cool, glad my answer helped! :)

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2022

Thanks for the answer @Eric DeMars - it really helped.

0 votes
Susheela_Kushwaha March 17, 2023

I had the same issue. The permissions were all good but still Start Sprint button was disabled. We fixed it by enabling parallel Sprints in Jira Product settings. Hope this will help others.

Parallel sprints.PNG

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2019

@Eric DeMars Can you also check if you have "Edit issues" permission in all these JIRA projects included in your Sprint?

Also check one more thing: Is there any other sprint that is already running or is active and is still not completed? If there is an active sprint already and JIRA instance has not been configured to run parallel sprints, then you will not be able to start another sprint.

Eric DeMars January 24, 2019

@Taranjeet Singh yes I have Edit Issues permission in all these projects.  I edit issues every day, and I doublechecked anyway in Permission Helper.

Also I closed the previous open sprint before I started any of this.  There are no active sprints.  

I appreciate your help - I am out of ideas.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.22.05 AM.png

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

@Eric DeMars Can you please check if you have the "Manage Sprints" permission in your JIRA project? If the Sprint includes issues from more than one projects, then you will need "Manage Sprints" permission in all those JIRA projects.

Eric DeMars January 18, 2019

@Taranjeet Singh Yes, there are issues from projects called FEATS, SYS, SUP, BUGS, and CERTS in the sprint.  I used the Permission Helper to verify I have Manage Sprints permission in all of them.  Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 4.07.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-18 at 4.06.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-18 at 4.06.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-18 at 4.05.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-18 at 4.05.19 PM.png

Suggest an answer