Can't see a shared release in project releases

Yuliia Zhyliaieva August 25, 2020

Hi!

I created a new plan, included two projects into it.

Then I created a shared release containing two versions from the above projects.

I committed changes in the plan, but the shared release isn't there in any of the projects. What did I do wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

Hi @Yuliia Zhyliaieva ,

Cross-Project releases don't exist within Jira, they are a conceptual feature within Advanced Roadmaps only.

Documentation for releases can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/creating-releases-998651295.html

Thank you, Michael!

I am still confused, though - following your link I found the article that says:

When you create a cross-project release and commit it to Jira, the release will be transformed into a regular release in each of the Jira projects that are part of the cross-project release.

Issues assigned to the cross-project release in a plan will be assigned to the respective project-specific release in the issue's Jira project.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/creating-and-configuring-cross-project-releases-998651713.html

Doesn't it mean that if I create a cross project release, it will appear in each of my projects?

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

So when Portfolio for Jira Cloud was rebranded as Advanced Roadmaps, it also underwent a large design/UI change (From Live Plan to Improved Interface they're called)

It's been a little while since I've worked with either version, but from reading the documentation it looks like a couple of things are happening:

1. The documentation you've linked is for the Live Plan (deprecated) where it looks like you could create a Cross Project Release without existing Project Releases (which would then create these Project Releases for you)
  2. In the Improved Interface, when you create a Cross Project Release, you must select existing Project Releases for it to run off of. Changes to the individual Project Releases will sync to their respective projects, but it doesn't look like you have the functionality to create them from Cross Project Release anymore (You can still create standalone Project Releases within Advanced Roadmaps though)

Looks like it's just deprecated functionality now.

Like Yuliia Zhyliaieva likes this

That's a shame( I really don't get the value of the shared release then. Thanks for the help!

0 votes
Yuri Lapin _Release Management_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2021

Yeah, agree this is some what limited. In our App we developed an ability to create cross-project releases with sync ON/OFF option. Check it out if relevant.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events