Can't link Intercom conversation to Jira issue after changing Jira Permission Scheme

Katherine Lisman April 16, 2021

Our support lead links conversations in Intercom to the related Jira issue. I copied the existing Jira permission scheme used on the project and made a few tweaks, but now my support lead is no longer able to link the Intercom conversation to a Jira issue. I compared the two Jira permission schemes, and I can't for the life of me figure out what part of that permission scheme is keeping the support lead from linking. I reverted them back to the previous scheme so they can link.

Can someone help me figure out which permission is affecting the ability to link an Intercom Conversation with a Jira issue?  Using Jira Cloud, Classic projects. 

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

0 votes
Tobias Binna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2021

Hi @Katherine Lisman 

To create links from Intercom (I assume using Jira Cloud for Intercom) the app user needs the following permissions:

You could use the Jira permission helper to figure out if the app user has these permissions with the new permission scheme configured (select any issue from the project). The screenshot illustrates this by checking for the create issues permission:

Full disclosure, I am the developer of this integration. If the above does not help feel free to send us your Intercom workspace id (the number/letter combo in your Intercom URL: app.intercom.io/a/apps/[workspace id]/...) to support@toolsplus.io. We may be able to extract additional details from our logs on why exactly issue linking fails.

Katherine Lisman April 19, 2021

@Tobias Binna - thank you for your response. She does have appropriate permission in Intercom. It appears to only be on the Jira side. When I change the permission scheme on the Jira side, she does not have access to link to a jira item from Intercom. When I change it back to the default permission scheme in Jira, she then can link from Intercom to Jira.

Wouldn't that mean that the problem is on the Jira side? 

Tobias Binna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2021

Yes, you are right, this is likely an issue on the Jira side. The permissions I was referring to above are Jira permissions. For the Intercom app to create links the app user needs the Jira permissions listed above. Did you manage to verify that the app user has the required permissions?

Katherine Lisman April 20, 2021

@Tobias Binna , ah...we're not using "Issue level security." That's new to me...I will have to learn how to set that up. Do you happen to have a training URL handy? I can google, but if you are the expert, you might have the link to the best training/how to available. :o) 

Thank you!!

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2021
Like # people like this
Katherine Lisman April 20, 2021

Thank you, @Joanna Thurmann !

Katherine Lisman May 12, 2021

@Tobias Binna , I've been able to narrow down my problem.

On the Permission Scheme, the only way my support rep can link an Intercom issue to a Jira issue is if the Edit issues is given access based on "Application access" for "Jira Software."  If I don't have this set exactly like that on the Permission Scheme, regardless of what group she is assigned and that group being assigned to the Edit issues , she cannot link an Intercom issue to a Jira issue.

This causes a problem, because we have certain departments where we want those dept users to only view issues, and NOT edit them. And when I provide "Application access" for "Jira Software", then everyone can edit an issue. This is not the desired behavior. It doesn't appear to work just based on Group. 

Would you happen to have a recommendation? 

0 votes
Katherine Lisman April 16, 2021

@Trudy Claspill - I created a spreadsheet with the two permissions schemes. The tab with the "default" permissions works correctly and my support lead is able to link to a Jira issue from Intercom. 

The second tab, "project specific" does NOT allow my support lead to link to a Jira issue from Intercom.  My support lead has a "Trusted" Role and belongs to the below groups. 

Thank you for your assistance...let me know if you have trouble accessing the Excel book via drop box:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r0f4bxugaxbbqbp9jqfg0/JiraPermissionSchemeComparison.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=n5mdbxfnsb2x9j1is5ap1grrf

Groups.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

@Katherine Lisman 

The dropbox link you provided is to a video about creating issues and a required field, not to an excel file.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

Can you provide us with the differences between the two permission schemes?

How are the links being created? Are you using the Web Link functionality or something else?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events