Can't create team-managed projects?

IBrown_BluePrint January 3, 2022

When a non-administrator user clicks `Create project` they are shown the template screen and when selecting the `Software Development -> Bug Tracking` template, the creation button is greyed out and they are told they can't create Company Managed projects.

When I do the same process, I can create the project and at no step get an option to make it Team-Managed, resulting in a Company Managed project.

All of the help posts about this indicate that after clicking `Create project`, we should be seeing some sort of option to select what kind of project we want to create, THEN see the template selection screen. We are not getting this.

I'm a site admin for a standard plan team. I want all the users in a certain group that I created to be able to create projects; at this point, I don't care what type. Right now the permission for creating team-managed projects contains this group as well as the everyone group. I would be perfectly happy giving these users the ability to create company managed projects and the ability to change projects they are the lead on (i'd probably prefer this actually), but right now I'm the only person that can create projects, which is untenable.

4 answers

4 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

@IBrown_BluePrint,

It's expected that standard users are unable to create company managed projects. Based on what I am seeing in my instance, it appears that the "Bug Tracking" template can only be a company managed project, not a team management template. Can you confirm that they can create team Kanban and Scrum projects?

Thanks,

Kian

IBrown_BluePrint January 3, 2022

This looks to be the issue, they can create other kinds of projects as team-managed after selecting the template.

Given the type of team setup we have, I think I'm just going to move this group to Jira Admin so they can make the company-managed projects.

1 vote
Answer accepted
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

Hello @IBrown_BluePrint ,

If you have Jira system admin privileges, can you please check the all users have the below global permission.

Settings --> System --> Global Permissions -->  Create team-managed projects global permission,

If not please add the users here, it's a by default permission, if someone removed the permission, users may not able to create "Team Managed Projects".

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-edit-and-delete-team-managed-projects/ 

If still having issues, you may raise a support request to Atlassian by clicking on the below link.

https://support.atlassian.com/ 

Thanks

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

The Permission for Creating Projects are governed by global permissions in Jira

For creating Company managed project you should be "Jira Administrator"

For creating Team managed project you should have "Create team-managed projects" permission

Don't give them permission to create company managed projects for everyone, that's not a best practice and you would not be using the tool is meant to be

Instead, all the users to group and grant them "Create team-managed projects"

They should see the below page when they are creating the project when they have permission to create the team-managed project

Project.png

Thanks,
Pramodh

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2022

This sounds like one of your admins has limited or removed completely, the permission to create a team-managed project.

Go to Admin -> Global permissions and check out what groups have "Create team-managed projects"

Suggest an answer