Can't create an epic

Vladimir Lyagin April 22, 2019

After updating to version 8.1. I can't create a new epic. I fill every field, including the "Epic name", but Jira shows error message "Epic Name: Epic Name is required." anyway. 

The same situation with existing projects and with the empty brand new project.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2019

Hello Vladimir,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

I understand that the error you mentioned is been displayed to you even if you fill the Epic name properly in the create issue screen of the projects after upgrading. Is that correct?

It is a very common problem that some field get duplicated when upgrading JIRA Agile as mentioned in the documentation below:

How to Fix the Duplicate Agile Custom Fields After Upgrading

That been said, perform the steps below to diagnosis it:

1. Open and check whether any of the Agile fields are duplicated. An example snapshot is given below:
  2. It can also be confirmed by a direct SQL query in the database. For example, to return all Agile Custom Fields, the following query can be used.

SELECT id,cfname FROM customfield WHERE customfieldtypekey like 'com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira%' OR cfname in ('Flagged','Story Points','Epic/Theme','Business Value') ORDER BY cfname, id;

In the above example, there will be multiple Custom Fields returned for Epic Name.

If you confirm it is the root cause, please perform the workaround steps mentioned in the documentation.

Let me know if this information helps.

Vladimir Lyagin April 23, 2019

Hi, Petterson!

Yes, you are absolutelly right, it was the case! I've fixed it with the help of the documentation page that you provided.

Thanks a lot!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2019

You are welcome, Vladimir!

Have a nice day! :)

0 votes
Vladimir Lyagin April 23, 2019

Issue fixed.

Suggest an answer