Can't connect with MySQL5.7.

Jungkeun Kim October 16, 2019
  • Environment

- Database : MySQL 5.7.27-0

- Jira 8.4.2

• Step

1. Ubuntu 16.04

2. MySQL : DB creation complete. Language, Permission setting complete.

3. Jira installed

4. jdbc connector : Copy (/opt/atlassian/jira/lib)

5. my.cnf setup not complete. (I'm testing it by changing the settings.)

• Issues

Jira connection (First time) > Database type

- Select to 5.7+ : Connection Fail.

- Select to 5.6 : Connection success.

• Question

1. Is it caused by the "my.cnf" setting?

2. Which of the three files below is correct?
                     1) /etc/mysql/my.cnf

2) /etc/mysql/mysql.cnf

3) /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf

3. Let me know if you have any example file.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2019

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you appear to be having problems setting up Jira with a MySQL 5.7 database on the back end.

We do have a comprehensive guide for setting up Jira to use this database type over in Connecting Jira to MySQL 5.7.  I would recommend trying to follow this guide very closely.  I have seen a number of users inadvertently select the incorrect jdbc driver from mysql's website because it is newer and that can cause Jira to not be able to use this database.  Just to clarify all the current versions of Jira server that want to connect to a MySQL database are expected to use the recommended MySQL driver JDBC Connector/J 5.1

That guide also details expected my.cnf configurations for Jira to work properly with that database.  Try following this guide very closely, I am confident that this will help to resolve this problem. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns about this kind of setup.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer