Can't assign categories to kanban tasks

Dean H August 16, 2022

Within a task on my kanban board there is the option to select a category.. how do I and where do I define this list to categorise my tasks?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Jira doesn't have a "category" for issues built-in, so you'll need to do something to add one.  I don't know if your question is about getting a category added to the system, or it's about using something your admins have already configured.

Either way, you'll need to talk to your admins to get it added to your issues.

Dean H August 16, 2022

Thanks for quick reply Nic, in this case I am the admin and would like to add some categories for my team to associate their tasks to in order to filter/report on specific tasks by category

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Ok, there's a couple of options.

You could use the built-in labels - these let people put whatever words they want on an issue, so they could be useful as categories.  But they may be too flexible for you.

If you want fixed category names, then add a select-list custom field, and populate its options with your categories, then put it on the create, edit and view screens for the project(s)

One note of caution - category already has a couple of meanings in Jira-speak, so I would recommend describing your category field a little more - just something like "team category" or "work-type category".  It will avoid confusion when you have people who have worked with Jira before - they'll be assuming "category" means "status category" or "project category"

Dean H August 16, 2022

Thanks very much Nic much appreciated 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events