Can't add a field to a Project

Gillian Lester-George January 14, 2022

I have a project that shares a category with another project. I am not able to add fields to either of the projects. (The project keys do not show up when searching the list.) Should I be updating the fields via category? If so how would I do that?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Category is irrelevant to project configuration.

Fields are not added to projects by searching lists, they are added by configuring the field context, and possibly the field configuration, so I'm a little bit lost on what you are doing to configure a field for a project?

Could you explain a bit more please?

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2022

The Category won't really matter - when you add a field to a project, you do so in a couple of ways. 

1) Screens (there are 3 in a project, and can be more if you have per-issue type screens).  So, if you add it to a view screen, it's different than the create and edit screens.

2) Field configuration - you can require and hide fields with this.  It works with the other ways I describe here.  You can also cause conflicts here by requiring it, but not displaying it in a screen. 

3) Scope - if you have access to the custom field creator area, find the field you need and see if it has a limited scope (meaning the projects or issue type it's allowed to be used in, and whether the field will have values custom to a project).   You can also use this method to see which screens (1) have the field in it.

note, this only applies to Company managed projects.  You don't do this for Team Managed projects, those are limited to the project they were created in.  You would just remake those fields in each project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events