Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can't Create a Column Status

Hi I want to create a new column but the option for adding a status is not there. I believe this may have something to do with the way the board was set up, but can anyone confirm what it is I need to change in order to add the status? 

As you can see from the screenshot, the column won't show without a status. But from what I've seen online, the option to add a status should be at the top near 'add column' - which it isn't here. 

What do I need to do to add a status to these columns? Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 08.42.02.png

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Emma O_Gorman and welcome to Community!

To see the "Add status" button on a board, you need to be:

• admin of the project
  • working on a simplified workflow board

You can check just above the columns if you're using simplified workflow:

Capture d’écran 2021-05-27 à 09.56.28.png

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Also, you should check the difference between simplified and Jira workflow here: Using the Simplified Workflow 

Like Emma O_Gorman likes this

Thanks @Manon Soubies-Camy that's really helpful.

I had a look at the differences and apart from the new column I don't want the simplified workflow preferably, as I want movement between columns restricted to certain ones.

Do you know of any other way to do it? The columns which exist already are not just default ones, so I presume they were added by a predecessor somehow, I just can't figure it out! 

It actually depends on what you need:

• If you want to associate an existing status to a new column, you can click on "Add column" and drag-and-drop the status to the new column
  • If you want to create a new column and a new status, you need to start by adding a new status to your workflow. This requires global Jira admin permissions though!
Like Emma O_Gorman likes this

Thank you, I have done it now via the workflow like you said, thanks for your help, much appreciated :) 

Like Manon Soubies-Camy likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi, @Emma O_Gorman !

I agree with Manon in case of using simplified workflow. It is comfortable to project admins. 

But if you don't use simplified workflow you can ask your Jira Admins to configure your workflow - How to create workflows . 

After that Jira Admin or Board admin will see new status in "Unmapped Statuses" column. Then you can create new column and drag&drop there new/unmapped status.

Good luck! 

Thanks @Alexander Bondarev I appreciate your reply. I've done this now via workflow using the steps from the link you provided, thanks v much! :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

171 views 6 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you