Can't Create a Column Status

Emma O_Gorman May 27, 2021

Hi I want to create a new column but the option for adding a status is not there. I believe this may have something to do with the way the board was set up, but can anyone confirm what it is I need to change in order to add the status? 

As you can see from the screenshot, the column won't show without a status. But from what I've seen online, the option to add a status should be at the top near 'add column' - which it isn't here. 

What do I need to do to add a status to these columns? Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 08.42.02.png

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Hi @Emma O_Gorman and welcome to Community!

To see the "Add status" button on a board, you need to be:

• admin of the project
  • working on a simplified workflow board

You can check just above the columns if you're using simplified workflow:

Capture d’écran 2021-05-27 à 09.56.28.png

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Also, you should check the difference between simplified and Jira workflow here: Using the Simplified Workflow 

Like Emma O_Gorman likes this

Thanks @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ that's really helpful.

I had a look at the differences and apart from the new column I don't want the simplified workflow preferably, as I want movement between columns restricted to certain ones.

Do you know of any other way to do it? The columns which exist already are not just default ones, so I presume they were added by a predecessor somehow, I just can't figure it out! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

It actually depends on what you need:

• If you want to associate an existing status to a new column, you can click on "Add column" and drag-and-drop the status to the new column
  • If you want to create a new column and a new status, you need to start by adding a new status to your workflow. This requires global Jira admin permissions though!
Like Emma O_Gorman likes this

Thank you, I have done it now via the workflow like you said, thanks for your help, much appreciated :) 

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

Hi, @Emma O_Gorman !

I agree with Manon in case of using simplified workflow. It is comfortable to project admins. 

But if you don't use simplified workflow you can ask your Jira Admins to configure your workflow - How to create workflows . 

After that Jira Admin or Board admin will see new status in "Unmapped Statuses" column. Then you can create new column and drag&drop there new/unmapped status.

Good luck! 

Thanks @Alexander Bondarev I appreciate your reply. I've done this now via workflow using the steps from the link you provided, thanks v much! :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events