Can someone help me understanding what is Context in fields?

Raquel Ruiz April 2, 2019

I really need to undestand what is a Context in JIRA?   What would be the difference with an scheme or screen?

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2019

Hi @Raquel Ruiz , Welcome to the community.

Adding a new context allows you to configure a custom field differently for different combinations of issue types and projects.

For instance, suppose you have a custom field 'fruits' and you can configure such as appear options 'Apple', 'Orange' for Project A, and 'Papaya', 'Pear' to project B.

For more details please go through configuring custom field context.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Ram.

Raquel Ruiz April 4, 2019

Thank you very much, Rambabu for your prompt response and help.  The link you shared was exactly I need to don't mix concepts. I am already implementing what is explained.

Thanks again !!

Ricky Lin April 10, 2019

Hi Rambabu.  Wondering if you could provide some insight on how to "remap"

For example, the Default Context has 5 specific values, A, B, C ,D and E.

A Project-specific Context was created to have 3 specific values: F, G, H.

After some time, project requirements have changed and we now need to remove the project-specific Context while mapping fields back to the values in Default context, for example:

1. F > A
  2. G > C
  3. H > E

However, there's not a clean way to do it currently and there's no auto-remapping prompt when you delete the project-specific context.  In fact, it'll remove all the existing values there.

I'm currently getting around this by first applying Labels with the Project-Specific values, delete the Project-Specific Context, and then look up the Labels to remap to the Default values.

Any other better way to do this?  Hopefully this wasn't  too confusing.

Appreciate any feedback you may have!

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

I'm very late to the party but in case anyone else wanders down this rabbit hole, I found this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/change-context-for-an-existing-custom-field-without-losing-old-data-674990056.html

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019

HI @Raquel Ruiz 

Welcome to the Community!

Adding to the @Rambabu Patina _Appfire_ using field context you can configure/use the same custom field with different options for one or more projects.

Scheme is nothing but the collection of values which can be used for one or more projects like collection of screens called screen scheme, collection of field configurations called field configuration scheme.

Suggest an answer