Can "Features" be created in between "Epic and Story" hierarchy?

bala katabathuni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 3, 2024

Can "Features" be created in between "Epic and Story" hierarchy?

If yes, can you please walk me through as i can't find "Features" option.

If not, what needs to be done to create EPIC -> FEATURE -> STORY hierarchy?

3 answers

3 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2024

Hi Bala- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We recently did this. You need to go into the issue type hierarchy, and they rename the Epic to Feature.

Then go to your list of issue, types, and their rename Epic to Feature.

While you were there, create a new issue type called Epic

Now return to the issue type hierarchy and add the Epic as level two.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

@bala katabathuni  - I have already described the steps for you to accomplish that with a Premium subscription. You might try the Structure add-on.

2 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2024

Hi @bala katabathuni

welcome to the community!

Just to add to John's answer, there's two things to consider: 

• To the best of my knowledge, Jira's issue type hierarchy allows additional levels only in Jira Premium.
  • There are certain semantics associated with issue level "#1" (by default called Epic), e.g. in how such issues are displayed in the Jira Software backlog view, etc. So while it is possible (and not uncommon) to rename level #1, just be mindful that it may become confusing to others if you create another hierarchy level - e.g., a level #2 - and call this other hierarchy level "Epic".

These are really just things to consider. As John said, it is absolutely possible to model your hierarchy in Jira Premium.

Just as food for thought, another option would of course be to use issue links. Issue links give you full flexibility on how you connect two issues to each other, and don't require Jira Premium. The downside is that Jira doesn't really "recognise" issue links as parent/child relationships - there are, however, various hierarchy-focused apps on the Atlassian Marketplace that can do so. I'm happy to elaborate if this is an option for you.

Best,

Hannes

bala katabathuni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 6, 2024

Thank you everyone.  I have another question.  What in Jira premium allows Feature as a function, so that we can create Epic, Feature, Story hierarchy? Or what plug-in I can use to make it above instead of complete premium version?

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 8, 2024

Hi @bala katabathuni

Jira Premium is a license for Jira that enables certain additional features; you can find more information here. The features that utilises hierarchy the most are so-called plans. Plugins  (also known as apps) typically work with any Jira license (be it Free, Standard, or Premium), and depending on the app and the size of your site, may either be free or paid. As said, there are a number of hierarchy-focused apps available - as you can trial any app for free for one month, I'd recommend to try a few and see which one works best for you.

To provide a concrete recommendation: My team and I work on an app that I feel might be useful to you, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies. These issue hierarchies can be based on Jira's built-in parent/child relationships (like task/sub-task, or epic/story), and/or based on issue links of configurable issue link types.

This is how this looks in action:

epic-story-task-sub-task-hierarchy.gif

I'm using an epic/story/task/sub-task hierarchy here, but you could also model epic/feature/story/sub-task. Stories and tasks are connected to each other via issue links.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2024

Hi @bala katabathuni 

Welcome to the community !!

If you are on Jira premium, you can create hierarchy levels above Epic. However on other Jira version, you can use issue links to create your own hierarchy at any level. If you would like to try out a mktplace app, please take a look at an add-one have developed for the same use case.

Issue Hierarchy 

The app shows your issues , their subtasks and the linked issues as well in a simple and easy to use tree view, with progress at each parent level.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Links Hierarchy - Gadget.PNG

Suggest an answer