Can only edit some fields of an issue (labels, comment, prio)

Roland_Peer October 3, 2019

Hi

I had to change some things on the workflow of my JIRA projects and I seem to have messed up a few things. :-(

When I try to edit an issue, even if it's not in the final state, i can only change a few fields. Well, actually it looks like every state is treated like it is a final state. So editing issues is basically completely blocked. 

I already checked permissions: editing issues is allowed for all logged in users. I guess I didn't something wrong in the workflow because that's where I changed things. 

Appreciate any help!

Best, Roli

03-10-_2019_10-15-46.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

Jira presents fields to us humans on "screens", which are nothing more than a list of fields in a certain order.  Each project/issue-type can be set to use different screens, although most of us tend to keep it simple and share screens so that things tend to look and behave the same.

There are four ways a screen comes into play - Creating an issue, viewing it, editing it and when going through transitions between status.  Create, view and edit are configured with "issue type screen schemes", and transitions screens are controlled by the workflow.

In your case, the admins have only placed priority, labels, assignee and component on the screen your project/issue-type are using for "edit".  If you need  other fields on there, you'll need an admin to add them on to the screen.

Roland_Peer October 11, 2019

Cool, thanks for the explanation! Helped me. 

Suggest an answer