Can i auto generate a story on a different project if i use a label on the feature?

MARY USEN March 28, 2024

Can i auto generate a story on a different project if i use a label on the feature?
for example. if my feature is on project ABC and i add a label to the feature called DEF-Task1, can I program an automation where a story is autogenerated on the DEF project, where most of the info in the feature carries over to that story on the other project?

Thanks! 

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2024

Hi @MARY USEN 

Yes, I believe it is possible to clone an issue into a dynamically identified project, and it is more complicated than a normal issue cloning.

First, what I believe will not work with automation rules...

• Project-scope rules can create issues in other projects (e.g., your DEF example) but the Clone Issue action does not appear to accept a smart value in the Project field to select the project
  • Also it appears the project field in the clone (or create) issue action requires a value of some type, and so the advanced edit with JSON will not work either as an override of the dropdown list value

Two possible work-arounds are to first extract the target project key from your label, and then:

1. Use that value in a series of if / else condition blocks, selecting the relevant project, with a block for each possible project.  The number of supported projects will be limited by the maximum rule length of 65 steps / components.
  2. Create the issue by calling the REST API function using a Send Web Request action

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

Hi @MARY USEN,

Yes, sure. You must make sure that your automation rule is scoped across at least the 2 projects involved (you can set this in the rule details section of the rule).

Your rule should have components like these:

• Trigger: fields updated / label added
  • Conditions:
    • Field value: project = your source project
    • Field value: labels = your label
  • Action: clone issue (select the fields you want to copy from the trigger issue) 

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

Hello @MARY USEN 

If you are a Jira Admin you can create rules. If you are a Project Admin you may be able to create rules, but the scope is limited to a single project.

With a rule scoped to just the ABC project, if you have sufficinet permissions to create rules for that project, then you could use the Clone Issue action in a rule for the ABC project to create a copy of the feature (with some modifications) in the DEF project.

If you wanted to use the Create Issue action instead, or if you wanted to do additional Edits on the new issue or Transition it within the same rule after the Clone Issue action, then you would need a Multiple Project Scoped Rule. Those can be created only by Jira Admins from the Global Automation page.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events