Can custom fields be added to project settings?

Ann Rumenapp August 8, 2022

My company would like to track project health within Jira for Jira projects.  Health being (red/yellow/green) indicator things like scope, budget, etc for the overall project and a few text fields for key accomplishments and accomplishments in next 30 days. 

Can custom fields be added in project settings? 

IF not, can the project 'toolchain' feature be used to connect to a sharepoint list that has the health fields?

4 answers

4 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hi @Ann Rumenapp ,

A more out-of-the-box solution to your problem would be to track the project health in a separate Jira Project. There you can create one Issue per project and keep all kinds of attributes for these projects, including the Health (R/A/G).

• You create a Jira project; Project tracker
  • You create an Issue Type called Project
  • You create some custom fields:
    • A Project Picker field to select the project
    • A Select List called Health with options Red, Amber and Green
    • Any other project attribute (project manager, sponsor...)
Ann Rumenapp August 9, 2022

Yes, this was the option that I discussed with my manager.  I'm building out a prototype this week.  I was hopeful that there were other options that I may have missed :)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

It is not possible to add custom fields at the project level. There is a change request for it.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-1991

It mentions some apps that might be used, but the mentioned apps are available only for self-hosted Jira.

I found this app that might work for you.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225741/project-properties-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Unfortunately we are out of budget $$ this year.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Hello @Ann Rumenapp

You may benefit from using a marketplace application such as Projectrak. It would not give you the level of customization you asked in the original question but it would help you track project health.

Atlassian is working on a new teamwork directory called Atlas that is currently in beta. It might be worth trying out!

Hope this helps

Unfortunately we are out of budget $$ this year.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Hi Ann,

No, this is not allowed. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders