Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can an email be sent using @ in a bitbucket comment for a commit

I want an email to be sent to a user when I type @username in the bitbucket comment section for a commit.  I thought that would work but it doesn't send and email when use the syntax.  How do I get this to work?

1 answer

0 votes
Ben Atlassian Team Dec 14, 2022

Hi Todd,

Tagging a user by mentioning their username in a comment on the UI - should notify the user - but only if they are subscribed to notifications.

You can see our article regarding notifications here and how they work within Bitbucket Cloud:

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/manage-email-notifications-for-watched-objects/

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Hi Ben,

Based on the statement in the documentation:

Bitbucket notifications
While you can unsubscribe from certain notifications, you can't turn off notifications from Bitbucket when:

Another user mentions you in a comment.

Doesn't this below fall into that category?  I have even tried adding myself to receivingg the comment.  No one got an email.  We do get these: notifications-noreply@bitbucket.org for commits

bitbucket-comment-question-Screenshot 2022-12-16 083752.png

Ben Atlassian Team Dec 18, 2022

Hey Todd,

Thank you for clarifying.

I have just tested this from my end with my colleague and was unable to reproduce the issue. Regardless of whether or not I was watching the repository/commit/PR, I still received emails related to tag comments.

For PR's I received an email from pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org and for commits I received an email from commits-reply@bitbucket.org so I would suggest checking/filtering your inbox based on these sender email addresses.

I can confirm that the only scenarios you will not receive an email based on a tag comment are as follows:

• Email notifications are disabled, you can check this by navigating to Personal Settings > Notifications - if the button says "Enable email" you will need to click this to turn it back on - this setting trumps everything.
  • The tag comment came from yourself, the notification will only work if someone else tags you and does not work for self-tags
  • There is some kind of whitelisting issue from your mail server, you will need to make sure all of our email addresses are whitelisted:
    noreply@am.atlassian.com
    no-reply@atlassian.com
    noreply@mailer.atlassian.com
    notifications-noreply@bitbucket.org
    commits-reply@bitbucket.org
    pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org

I cannot see any internal blockage from our end that would prevent emails being sent (ie SMTP logs/suppression lists), so I would suggest following the above and then attempting a comment tag again.

If this still does not work, please reply with the exact date/time that the tag comment was made and also provide only the first name of the user (as this is a public forum) so we can check our SMTP logs.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events