Can a ticket be on more than one board at a time?

Because some tickets fall under multiple projects, I'd like to have 1 ticket on two or more boards so each PM or Scrum Master can track the work. Is this possible or does it break logic in JIRA somewhere?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 09, 2017

yep. tickets/issues do not belong to a board. Boards are simply filtered views of your database.

Thank you for the help!

Absolutely.

Boards are not containers for issues.  Projects are the containers.  Boards are a view of a selection of issues.

It does no harm to have many boards that select the same issue, set of issues, or even disparate overlapping ones.

You do need to be slightly careful with Scrum boards, as sprints will leak across boards, and you'll need to explain it to your users (there's one issue showing on many boards)

Makes sense. That must be why we're told only one board for the ticket - to avoid users making mistakes like that. Thanks!

I would like to ask a followup question:

If I create two boards, one for all jiras with component=A and another board with all jiras with component=B

How do those affect the Backlog and Sprint views, if at all?

Would I see the same issues in those views regardless of whether I am currently set to with Board A or Board B?  Or would I see all issues in the "Backlog" or in "Sprints" regardless of the Board I currently have?

The boards are separate entities.  One is looking at one set of issues, the other board looks at another.

You might see sprints from one board appear on the other, if there is any chance of cross-over (I would expect to see some if you're using components to separate the boards)

Thanks.  Forgive me but I'm still a little confused.  In my project there are 3 UI icons, one for the board, one for the backlog and one for the Sprint.  I have created 2 mutually exclusive boards based on my board filter.  If I switch between those two boards, would I expect to see  different results when I click the "backlog" icon or the "sprint" icon?

If boards represent a different view in to the project data, I'm confused as to where that view is rendered?  Because it seem like the issues listed in my backlog doesn't change regardless of the board filter. 

Ok, what type of boards are you looking at?

Scrum Boards

Maybe multiple boards only makes sense if they are Kanban boards?

Ok, the backlog on a scrum board will change according to what the board filter includes, as will the sprint.  The sprint view will contain cards that are in the current sprint, the backlog all the other issues selected by the filter.

The boards can be different to the project data.

Thanks that helped me.  I think I got it now.

As the others already pointed out. Your board will display a selection of issues depending on either a project or a saved filter (create a board and see the options in the dialog window, basically it's always a JQL query), so yes, issues can appear on multiple boards. So keep that in mind when ranking issues in different backlogs as its rank is a global value :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,492 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you