Can a query be developed to identify when the description in a story is updated?

Clifford Perea September 9, 2022

I have received a request from management that they would like to know when descriptions inside a story gets updated from any particular sprint planning session, so a specific date. I am not aware that Jira keeps history on descriptions in stories, so I don't know how I would create a query to identify this information. I know I can create a query on a specific description, but again not when descriptions are modified. Does anyone know, if this can be done? 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 10, 2022

Hi @Clifford Perea 

As far as I know, JQL queries don't support history searches for the description field.

I can suggest an alternative solution – Issue History app from my team. Here you can monitor all changes for any standard or custom issue field. Just add the description field to the grid's columns.

An example:Description history jira.png

There is a free trial, so you can check if it can help.

Clifford Perea September 12, 2022

Thank you @Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_ is this a plug-in for Jira? 

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2022

Yes, exactly (for Jira Cloud). Let me know if you need more help

Like Clifford Perea likes this
Clifford Perea September 13, 2022

Thank you again @Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_ !

Clifford Perea September 15, 2022

Hi @Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_ I uploaded "Issue History" into my Jira instance and I love it. I have a question for you. Do you know, if custom issues can be shown in the Issue type column, because I inherited a Jira setup where the folks before me created a "Feature" custom issue that they link to Epics and then the stories are linked to the custom "Feature" issue. I am trying to identify stories that have changed descriptions to the Feature issue, instead of the Epic issue, but I can't figure out how to show the Feature issue in type column. Thanks

Marketplace Partner
September 16, 2022

Hi @Clifford Perea 

As far as I know, the Issue type column should reflect custom issues. I'm not sure I understand what changes you need to monitor. If you want to get Issue type changes – add an issue type field to the table columns.

If you want to get more details about your case, you can always ask for help from our support team or book a demo with our expert.

2022-09-16_17-39-33.png

Clifford Perea September 16, 2022
1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Hi @Clifford Perea - You can accomplish this with automation.

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed (Description)
  • CONDITION (Advanced):
    • {{issue.sprint.startDate}}
    • Is Less Than
    • {{now}}
  • ACTION: Send Email, Slack, Teams, etc.
Clifford Perea September 12, 2022

Thanks Mark. This is much more advanced than what I know about creating queries in Jira. 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Jira Automation isn't so bad.  You can get to it here:

https://YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/YOURPROJECTKEY/settings/automate#/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events