Can JIRA visualize deployments that do not associate with an issue?

Tuomas Järvensivu January 25, 2021

We have integrated the deployments view of our JIRA cloud instance with our Circle CI pipelines using this Circle CI orb: https://circleci.com/developer/orbs/orb/circleci/jira.

Whenever we deploy to any of our environments (development, staging, production) we see the deployment information also on the JIRA deployments view if there is an association from the deployed commit to an existing JIRA issue.

However, sometimes an association is missing and this can be intentional. For instance there can be a commit to bump version number or do such that we don't really want to have a JIRA issue about.

What we would like to see is that we would get a dashboard of all deployments whether there has been an issue association or not. Actually the number one rational for this is that we would like to measure the amount of deployments of each service we do on monthly / weekly basis to each environment. In this regard we are not really that interested in the JIRA issue association at all.

Is there a way to achieve this? If there is a JIRA add-on that we should install to achieve this, we would be interested in hearing.

Also since the product we are building is composed of multiple services that can be deployed separately I'm interested in knowing what would be the "right" way of modeling this in JIRA. In practice we would like to see deployments of service X separate from deployments of service Y. Currently this distinction is visible on the Circle CI job names that do the deployment but if there's a better way to achieve this in JIRA then please let us know.

2 answers

0 votes
Samuel HASSID June 8, 2022

Hi @Tuomas Järvensivu

Did you find a solution for that ?

We're facing the same issue with our CircleCI pipelines

0 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Tuomas Järvensivu

I understand that you're using CircleCI for Jira, AFAIK there's no other integration in the marketplace for CircleCI and Jira cloud.

We do have an app that allows you to create dashboards with all the deployments, but we are integrated with Bitbucket Pipelines. I mean, we have integrations with Confluence, Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Insight, Opsgenie, Statuspage... but regarding deployments, we don't have more integrations. We depend on the number of customer requests to expedite a new integration into our roadmap.

You can see a live demo here bit.ly/DevOps_dashboard where the data comes from Bitbucket (+Pipelines) and Opsgenie.

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 09.37.51.png

Hope this helps!

Tuomas Järvensivu January 26, 2021

Interesting, but not quite what we are looking for.

In essence, we would just like to get a summary of all deployments done per service per environment so that the data would come automatically from Circle CI (which does all our deployments) preferably without adding any new tools / services into the mix (such as opsgenie or statuspage).

Tuomas Järvensivu January 26, 2021

To clarify: we are not really interested in the current status of the deployed services but more interested in the statistics of number of releases per service per environment per month.

Like Gorka Puente _Appfire_ likes this
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 28, 2021

I see what you mean, if we had the integration with Circle CI we could display it in our "State of the Dev Union" gadget...

If you could get that data from the REST API (which I don't know), you could use an app like External Data for Jira Fields so you don't have to build your own, maybe @Ben Romberg - codefortynine can help you out.

Sorry for not having a better solution!

Thomas Opiolka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Tuomas Järvensivu,

The app External Data for Jira Fields which @Gorka Puente _Appfire_ kindly mentioned can indeed bring external data into Jira.

But it mainly revolves around or depends on custom fields. And these fields are always tied to an issue. When I read the use case you are trying to solve, I am not sure if our app can bridge the gap with issue-centric fields. 

In case you have an idea or workaround to use custom fields in your use case, the app is worth a look and I am happy to help you setting things up.

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events