Can I use a single board sourcing issues from multiple projects with different workflows?

Darrel Jackson September 14, 2020

I have a few different scenarios that fit this pattern: I want to use a single board sourcing issues from multiple projects with different workflows.

For example, I have a project team working from a Jira project. There are two (or more) software development teams with their own Jira projects each managing defects in their respective systems. Those defects share the same issue type (Bug) however each team uses a different workflow associated to the Bug issue type for their project.

I believe it is possible for the project team to write a board with a filter that can visualise the defects across two different projects. But I'm not sure how it copes with two different workflows. I'm also not sure whether its a good idea and whether there is a better way to go about this.

Ultimately what I'm looking for is a way for the project team to have an E2E view of their defects even if they are owned by other teams.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

Hi Darrel,

It's just a board, so I would say give it a try. If it doesn't work, just delete the board. 

Just make sure you have all of the statuses for each workflow mapped to the columns of the board. 

Rabbit September 15, 2020

Essentially what John said-- you can map different statuses in different workflows to the same column. All of the statuses will show up when you go to board settings, and edit the column setup. 

This should be effective if the statuses are fairly similar, though if they're similar enough, you may want to suggest they move to a consolidated workflow. If there are vastly different steps, you may want to break them down into which steps/workflow map to the simple categories of "to do", "in progress", "done", and map to columns accordingly.

0 votes
Shrikant Wagh July 6, 2021

You can create a JQL and query multiple projects for the statuses you want, and create a jira board for those. Please note that you will need the permission scheme if you are using to have appropriate privileges for the users to view/edit those project entities. Else the board will not display some link to the user they do not permissions to view/edit those projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events