Can I use 2 templates?

Corrine Allard May 1, 2023

I have a trial version of Jira Software.  I'm trying to do a little setup to test it out.

We have 2 departments:  Projects and Managed Services.

Projects - 1 client, multiple team members, due dates, tasks to be completed are managed at a high level

Managed Services - 1 client, usually 1 team member, list of specific tasks, not date driven, managed at the detailed task level

The same person can be on both a project and a managed service, so we all need access to both.

What is the best solution for us? Can we use Jira Software with 2 templates?  

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Hi @Corrine Allard and welcome to the community,

Of course you can use Jira, but my question is why you want to have two different projects for that. Can't you use one project with e.g. task issue type as a high level and subtasks issue type as the detailed task? Imo, I wouldn't use different containers (projects) if there wasn't any specific requirement for this.

We track different fields on the tasks when they are projects vs managed services. This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Do I need to use 2 templates and if so, can I?

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can use as many projects as you like, all created with different templates.  Your users can be added to as many as they need to be (the licence count is by "can log in", not by project)

Ok, so it sounds like I can have different templates for projects and managed services if I need to. Thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events