Can I move tasks within an epic, into a story within the same epic?

Alex Smuts January 9, 2019

We conducted a lot of research tasks for various applications, within the same epic.

Now that these have all been done, I want to move them out of the main epic view - ideally moving them into a story within this epic would be great.

All the tasks have different project tags though which I think creates added complications.

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

You can change a Task to a Story. You can make the tasks sub-tasks of a story.

Sergej Grasmik January 9, 2019

I think, I didn't understood the question correctly :) Seems Alex meant, convert task to a story through a move-button.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

He would only need to use Move if the workflows are different. Otherwise just change via the issuetype dropdown.

If issuetype is presented on the edit screen :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2019

@Sergej Grasmik, I don't understand your comment? For sure Issuetype is on the edit screen. However, if the workflow for Task is different than Story then you wont be able to change the issue type via the dropdown. You have to use Move. Maybe i'm missing your point here?

I mean, may be "Issue type"-field is not presented on the edit-screen to not allow people without "Move issues"-permission change issue type.

If the field isn't presented on the edit-screen, you can't change via the issue type dropdown.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2019

understood. i expect this wouldn't be the case here in @Alex Smuts case but you never know. :-)

0 votes
Alex Smuts January 10, 2019

The tasks I want to link to the story, are all different projects.

So they won't have the same parent issue - I can't change all the tasks to be the same as the parent.

Sergej Grasmik January 10, 2019

You can create/move Sub-Tasks only for stories within same project.

Yes I thought so, thank you for confirming @Sergej Grasmik

It is a shame, because it would be helpful to have different projects within a story sometimes.

0 votes

Thank you everyone for your input!

@Jack Brickey  I am wanting to move an existing task, to a sub-task within a story.

I don't think that is possible though? When I have tried to move it, Jira doesn't allow me as it is a different project type to the Story (I have various different project types that I want to move into this Story)

Try to convert to Sub-Task

convert.JPG

It doesn't let me because it's not the same parent issue.

you have to select a parent issue during the conversion.

Could you share a screenshot?

1.png

0 votes

Hi Alex,

You can't move task into a story (if you mean tasks and not sub-tasks). But you can link task to a Story (independent of project or parent Epic)

Suggest an answer