Can I move several issues in Jira simultaneously?

Anna Taphorn January 18, 2018

Hi community,

I wonder if there is the possibility to move several issues at one time to another project. Or otherwise unite two Projects. We have some projects that are splitted and now I want to put them together. 

Moving every issue seperately would be very laborious and error-prone.

Thanks for your answers!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

Yes.  If you run a search for the issues you want to move, and get the list, you should find an option to "bulk edit" in the tools drop-down to the top right of the issue navigator (the list of issues)

That option will ask you what you want to do with the issues, and you should find that "move" is one of those options.  That will let you select a project, and then walk you through any questions it has (this happens when projects are configured differently)

You will need three permissions to do this:

• The global "bulk edit" permission
  • Create issue in the target project
  • Move issue in the source project
Anna Taphorn January 18, 2018

Thank you a lot! That helped me

Josefin Bengtsson January 7, 2020

Hi! 

Is there any way to bulk move within a project? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Yes, use bulk-edit, select "move" and don't change the target project. 

Although I suspect I do not understand the question - the action "move" really is for changing the structural things in Jira, for when configuration differences may affect the structure of the issues.

"move within a project" is nothing more than "change issue type"

So I'm questioning if I have understood what you mean by "move"?

Josefin Bengtsson February 11, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- !

Thanks for your answer! I am sorry, I can see that I really wasn't very clear. We have a need to move all the cards within a board to another Our options seem limited by us being in Next Gen but is there a way to do this and to not loose EPICs and other relevant information in the move? Thanks! 

Suggest an answer