Can I make the description field mandatory when time logging?

Richard Hudson February 8, 2023

I would like to users to add a description when logging their time.

See image below

I want to make the description higlighted in yellow a mandatory field when a user logs their time.

timelogging.PNG

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vedant Kulkarni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2023

@Richard Hudson, it seems that you are trying to configure in Jira default functionality, then you can't mark the description field as mandatory. There is already a suggestion request you can vote on here [JRACLOUD-8751] Work Description Field should be mandatory on the Log Work Operation Screen - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

However, you can try out some third-party add-ons such as Tempo to mark the description as required Configuring Logging Time options (tempo.io).

Thank you @Vedant Kulkarni 

Have up voted JRACLOUD-8751

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

Hi @Richard Hudson  welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can with Tempo Timesheets.

Go to Tempo > Settings > Configuration > Logging Time and make sure to uncheck the option 'Worklog description is optional.'

@Dave Mathijs  Thank you for the help.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2023

Hi @Richard Hudson 

I can recommend our Clockwork Automated Time Tracking & Timesheets Free app, which offers you the possibility to make the worklog description field mandatory. 

Please find below the screenshot of how it would look like:

mandatory.png

With this option enabled, the save button will not be available until you add the description.

In case you would have any additional questions, you can contact us via our customer portal.

Cheers!

Gracjan

Suggest an answer