Can I have shared epics in multiple projects

lisa November 15, 2020

Hello,

I am trying to set up Jira not only for our tech team, but all teams in our company. We are often working on shared projects where we need multiple teams. For those we like to use shared epics. Each team is then working on their own stories in this shared epic. 

I am looking for a way to visualize a quarterly shared roadmap view which shows the progress of all shared epics.

Is this possible in Jira classic? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2020

Hi Lisa - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It sounds like you need Advanced Roadmaps, but that product is only available with a Premium Subscription. 

lisa November 15, 2020

Thanks John

once I do have the premium subscription, can you walk me through what I need to set up? 

thank you 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2020
lisa November 17, 2020

Okay great! I got the premium enabled check! 

I already created a "plan" and linked my 2 projects (which are essentially for 2 different teams, our tech & content team). 

What I am trying to do:

• I want a combined roadmap for both teams
  • Sometimes the teams share a roadmap initiative which is split into multiple epics

My questions

1. Is it possible to have a level higher up than an epic in Jira? like an initiative?
  2. And in case it isn't how can I have the same epic on multiple boards?
  3. And lastly if I change the timeline of an epic on project level, I assume this will reflect on plan level as well? Some the other way around?
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

1. Yes, you can add initiatives above the Epic. Here is guidance for that:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/configuring-hierarchy-levels-998650959.html

2. Regardless, you should be able to use the same Epic on multiple boards

3. Yes, it should, although I have not directly tried that. 

lisa November 28, 2020

Awesome! I got it to work! Big thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2020

Great! Glad I could help a little. 😊

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events