Can I have a progress (issue count) for a project but based on linked issues from another project

Mazen ElAasser April 10, 2023

I am using an Advanced Jira roadmap for a company-managed Software project with 3 layers of Hierarchy (Visions, Goals & Milestones). I want to track the progress of milestones by linking issues that the team create on another team-managed software project. Is that possible? If not, are there any alternatives?

4 answers

1 vote
Linh Pham_Adaptavist April 13, 2023

Hello Mazen and welcome!

Echoing what Walter shared, since Advanced Roadmaps only allow an issue to have one parent, this might break the existing hierarchies in your other projects.

In my current team, we have a similar structure where my project has a standard Epic - Story hierarchy but at the same time, we also need to add Story as part of the group project Initiative. To solve that, we use issue linking as a workaround. Then to track parent progress including those linked issues, we use an app called Hierarchy for Jira, which is developed by my team here at Adaptavist.

This app allows us to visualise the complete hierarchy, including linked issues as well as the default hierarchy. Using the table view, we can add as many issue fields as we for more context around the work, making it very easy for our team to keep track of the progress of each item rolling up to the high-level Initiative.

I’ve replicated your hierarchy for reference:

1. This is the default hierarchy in Advanced Roadmaps, I have issues from both projects SSP and SKP linked to the PM parent tickets:

Advanced roadmaps hierarchy.png
  2. I’ve created the parent-child linkage between PM-4 and SKP-10 (which already had SKP-17 as the parent):
    Linked issue.png

3. Hierarchy for Jira retains the existing structure in AR and display that along with the linked children issues. You can then track roll-up progress directly on the table view:

Hierarchy for Jira.png

The good news is, the app supports both team-managed and company-managed projects so it's very flexible, especially for your use case. However, the app does not have a roll-up function for issue counts (only story points and worklogs), but it’s something the team has been considering. 

Please feel free to try the app and let me know if it’s something that can accommodate your needs, I’d be more than happy to see how we can help you further!

Cheers, 

Linh

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hi @Mazen ElAasser and welcome to the Community!

Tracking progress in advanced roadmaps is perfectly possible across multiple projects, but within certain limitations that don't match what you describe:

• Advanced roadmaps is compatible with company managed projects (not team managed). Team managed projects are not suited for collaboration across multiple teams / projects, even regardless of the tool. So if you want to build a cross-team / cross-project roadmap, you should consider moving towards company managed projects as a first step anyway.
  • The hierarchy and roll-up of progress is based on parent-child relationships between issues. Each child can only have 1 parent (but a parent can have many children). As long as you can align with that hierarchy principle, it does not matter if your issues live in different (company managed) projects. An issue can have a parent issue in a different project.
  • Issue linking is used to define dependencies between issues, regardless of hierarchy.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
James
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2023

Hello,

Yes, it's possible to track the progress of milestones in your Advanced Jira roadmap by linking issues from another team-managed CapCut for iOS software project. You can establish cross-project dependencies and maintain visibility across projects. If you encounter any challenges or if you're looking for alternatives, feel free to reach out for further assistance.

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 13, 2023

Hi @Mazen ElAasser 

Welcome to the community !!

If you are fine with a mktplace solution, we have built an app for the same use case.

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Through this app you can visualize your cross project linked issues irrespective of whether they are company managed or team managed. Do Try it out.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Links Hierarchy Initiative - Summary Report.PNG

Alistair Attrill November 27, 2023

Hello, is it possible to make this work just with status, we are in JIRA work management and we have no story points and we are also not tracking time.

Thanks,

Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 28, 2023

Hi @Alistair Attrill 

Thanks for reaching out. Yes we do have some special columns for that. As shown in the screen below, "% completed" shows the progress at each parent level based on the status of the child issues. Also I have added other special columns like children count and child statuses.

Hope this helps.

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Links Hierarchy - Child status.PNG

Alistair Attrill November 28, 2023

Thanks, I have tried but I am using a filter created by scriptrunner and they dont appear to be in the filter list is this something im missing? as usually i can see them in any app.

Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
November 28, 2023

Hi @Alistair Attrill 

Can you pls mark the filter as a favorite, ie click on the star icon.

I believe this should make it appear in the list.

Pls let me know if it helps.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events