Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can I filter custom fields on JIRA?

Hello Jira community,

I have a few questions which I'd like to get more information about it. I'm creating an automated ticketing system on JIRA and I have to create two custom fields. Once these tickets are automtically created on JIRA project I want to:

1) be able to filter by these custom fields.
    one custom field can be (ID name) and the other one (List type).                                    ID name could be: for e.g. 110 Is it possible to filter tasks created only with this ID (110) ?

2) be able to filter by name of the task/story. Is this possible? for e.g. If one task is created with name "United States" and the other one "Germany" is it possible to filter only tasks with the name Germany?

3) How many stories can be under same epic? Is there a limitation because there might be hundreds/thousands tasks that could go under one epic or I should create a custom field for that?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

For q 1 and 2 - yes, that's exactly what fields are for - holding searchable data.  You'll want to be using queries like "ID name = 110" or "name of story ~ Germany"

On 3 - there is a limit, technically, but the volume of links will make the system unusable for your humans well before you get anywhere close to it.

If you are going to have thousands of issues in Epics, then I'd suggest you probably want more layers in your hierarchy.  Break up your over-large epics and group them together with an initiative or saga or them as a layer above.  You'll need Advanced Roadmaps or Structure or Big Picture to help you do that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,098 views 34 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you