Can I exit an automation email action if the previous action fails?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Here is the automation:

automation.jpg

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2023

Hey Phil,

You can try adding a branch after the create based on most recently created issue. Then move the send email action under the branch.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Under what condition exactly are you wanting to exit the automation rule? When the "Create new" fails? Why would you expect that action to ever fail?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2023

I would hope it never fails, but for instance, it stopped working Friday evening, and I worked on and tested it all day today before it worked again (I don't really understand how), and it kept sending emails (only to me and my co-tester).  I could have of course removed the email component.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

What do you mean by "it stopped working"? Was it getting triggered but not doing what you expected?

What information was in the audit log for the rule at that time?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2023

You can view my posted question "Why has my automation stopped working?", but the answer is apparently that I had switched from a JQL condition to a related condition compare.  The error messages seemed to be misleading, but once I switched back, the automation worked.

So in future, if I change something and I don't realize I broke an automation that sends email notifications, I'd as soon the automation contained some construct that would prevent the emails from being sent.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2023

The automation that started working yesterday afternoon failed again this morning.  Please view post "Why has my automation stopped working?"  In that post, I had uploaded screen shots with added arrows from conditions to log entries, but I'm sure some of the arrows were in the wrong place.  Here's one from this morning, that I will also upload to my automation post.

I wonder if I somehow changed one transition name to another some time ago, because unless the log message relates to the JQL condition, despite the message including the word "destination", the status name is wrong.

I sure would like to know if the message refers to the JQL condition or the Transition action, but either way, I don't understand how this could work and then stop working.

automation 3-28.jpg

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2023

And the answer is (obvious now--it was the only thing I changed): I had restricted the transition to the destination status--yesterday to Admins; today to a field value.

I removed the restriction, and the automation is working again.

I still wouldn't mind knowing which log message relates to which condition or action, but I figure the arrows in the screen shot above are correct.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events