Can I define the sort order of a Kanban board column?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2023

Can I define the sort order of a Kanban board column (create date or key descending)?

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yuri Lapin _Release Management_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin

Trust you are well.

As Nic and John outlined above you can do it only by altering the filter presuming you have permissions to do so.

If you are up to Marketplace Partner Apps I would suggest to try Advanced Kanban Boards for Jira. We implemented a flexible option to sort your issues on the board by any standard or custom fields on the fly.

Just click try and convert your existing Kanban board to Advanced with self explanatory wizard to check capabilities you might have there.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yuri.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2023

Thanks.  I was finally patient enough to find the filter.  I'll keep the marketplace app in mind.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Not individually.  The board takes its sort order from the board filter, so all the columns will use the same sort order (typically, this will be "order by rank" because you need that to be able to rank issues in the backlog and on the board)

Some project types will force that on to you though, most notably team-managed projects.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi Phil - Yes, if it is a Jira Software Company-managed board. Just edit the filter associated with the board. If it is Team-managed or a Jira Work Management board - then no, you can't. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events