Can I customize my active sprint board?

lisa December 22, 2020

I was wondering if there are some tricks to do the following in my active sprint board?

1) Order of tickets

Can I reorder the order of tickets from top to bottom. We used to use Gitlab before and this is how we would communicate to the team which tickets to pick first (top to bottom from the open column) Or is the only way to use the arrow option in the ticket, and not a drag and drop in either the backlog view or in the open column in the active sprint?

2) Adjust view to only see user stories (no subtasks)?

Is there an easy way to only see user stories and not show subtasks in the swimlane column? Currently I see it like this which is not easy to get an overview so I would love to only see the user stories itself. 

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 09.18.56.png

3 answers

2 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2020

Hi @lisa,

Ordering the tickets is indeed done using drag and drop. It updates the ranking of you tickets and keeps them in the order you decide they should be in.

I think your board currently has swimlanes by stories, which is why you have all the subtasks visible and grouped underneath their parent stories, You can change that in Board Settings > swimlanes. Change the setting to none (or optionally to something else that makes more sense to you).

To remove the subtasks from the board view, you could modify the board filter. In the same Board Settings > General you'll see the filter with a link underneath Edit Filter Query. Click that link to edit the filter and update it somewhat like this:

Project = TECH and issuetype in StandardIssueTypes() ORDER BY Rank ASC

The main addition being the issuetype in StandardIssueTypes(). That part will eliminate the subtasks from your board, but you'll still be able to see them on the story card details.

lisa December 22, 2020

Okay great! I got this one...

Sorry to bug you again: But is there an easy quick filter/setting so you can easily switch back and forth from the views of having subtasks or not having subtasks in the board?

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2020

Based on other answers, just a couple of additional remarks:

• I'd really recommend using issuetype in StandardIssueTypes() over issuetype = story as it will show you all types of issues apart from subtasks. So if you have bugs, tasks, epics, ... in your project, they will still all show on the board. That won't happen when you get too specific in your filter;
  • the ORDER BY Rank part is really important to be able to order your tickets manually. Specifying any other ORDER BY statement will disable the manual ranking of tickets.
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2020

About the subtasks: yes. It may even be a better idea to add quick filters to your board. In that case, forget about modifying your board filter, but instead go to Board Settings > Quick filters and add a new quick filter like this:

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 10.33.35.png

lisa December 22, 2020

Thank you for the quick filters (also the others are very useful!)

However regarding the quick filter for "hide subtasks" the problem is that it just doesn't show the subtasks. What I was hoping for is that those tickets will then all appear in the same format of cards (if subtasks are assigned or not). Currently tickets with subtasks are still shown as a line of text vs. tickets without subtasks are shown as cards. 

Does this make sense!

Thank you so much for helping me out! 

lisa December 22, 2020

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 12.47.42.png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2020

Yes, that is most likely because you still have swimlanes for stories, no?

lisa December 22, 2020

sorry I might be a bit confused.... 

so here is what I tried:

1) setting the filter query

Project = TECH and issuetype in StandardIssueTypes() ORDER BY Rank ASC

--> which works so that the subtasks disappear from my active sprint board. However I was wondering if instead of this setting there would be an easy toggle on/off option to either show subtasks in swimlanes or not.

2) Added quick filter

Then I added your quick filter "issuetype in standardissuetypes()" but this then shows up in the board like my last screenshot

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2020

Hey @lisa,

All is here in this post, but just to resume:

1. Reset the filter query

Project = TECH ORDER BY Rank ASC 

Remove the issuetype part, as we're going to deal with this through the quick filters.

2. Toggle the quick filter on/off

Nothing left to do here, this is fine in the last screenshot

3. Remove the swimlanes on stories

Navigate to Board Settings > Swimlanes and select none from the dropdown list you see there.

> this last step should make your subtasks show like full cards, just like your other issues. If you have the subtasks quick filter toggled off.

lisa December 23, 2020

thank you so much for trying to help me out. Unfortunately if I follow the 3 steps and then use the quick filter "hide subtasks" it will completely hide user stories which have subtasks....  

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2020

Can you share screenshots of:

• your board filter query
  • your quick filter settings
  • your swimlanes configuration
1 vote
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

Hi Lisa,

Both your queries can be addressed using "Configuring a board option", 

Kindly find the reference link below, using the same

Step-1 - modify your filter query to select issuetype = Story, this should resolve your query-2

Step-2 - When you come back to the board, you will be able to re-order the story in the lanes by drag-drop,  this should resolve your query-1

Reference - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-a-board-938845252.html

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2020

You can go to your board settings (three dots on the right hand corner). If you click on swimlanes, you can order by Stories.

Also, if you change your filter (again, on the settings, first page after clicking) you can manage to add something like :

project = XXX AND issuetype = story ORDER BY Key

I can't see the point to do both though. Maybe you can try things and tell us what worked best for you !

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events