Can I create an Initiative without Advanced Roadmaps?

Maria Chec August 30, 2022

I work for a relatively small company and we have the normal Jira setup without the Advanced Roadmap (Plans or however you call it today) plugin. At this point, the plugin would be an overhead for us. 

I need to have a new issue type like an Initiative to be larger than an Epic and have various Epics linked to it. 

How can I create it myself and set the right hierarchy to it? I am an Admin, in the Standard Jira plan?

5 answers

5 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Maria Chec 

You create the issue type 

Create a link type that reflects the parent/child relationship 

If you have something like scriptrunner you can also create a scripted field to do that linking but not necessary. 

OK, thanks. 

I created it. Now how do I make sure it has the Type Scheme assigned and is above Epic in the hierarchy?

Managed with the schemes.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Maria Chec

regarding your question on how to properly visualise an issue-link based hierarchy, that's not really well possible in "native" Jira; however, there's a number of hierarchy focused apps in the Atlassian Marketplace, of which some can show issue-link based hierarchies. As an example, I myself work on an app called JXL for Jira, where this can be configured easily. E.g., in the below clip, there's two hierarchy levels on top of epics, both via issue links:

5-level-hierarchy.gif

You can trial any Marketplace app for free for 1 months, and depending on the app and the size of your site, some may be free forever. So if that's a possible route, I'd recommend trying out a few apps and seeing which one works best for you.

Hope this helps,

Hannes

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Maria Chec 

You can plan to have a new Issue Type named "Initiative" and configure the linking as "parent of" and there is no way we can show the heirarchy in Standard Plan.

Thanks,
Pramodh

OK, how do I do that?

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

@Maria Chec 

If you navigate to the Issues section in Jira Administration.

Manage the Issue type creation in Issye types section and add the Issue type which you have created in the Issue type scheme for Project

Then For creating the Issue linking, navigate to Issue linking Section and create a new Issue link

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks,
Pramodh

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Maria Chec 

You can use issue links to create your own hierarchy above and below Epics or infact at any level.

To visualize the hierarchy based on the issue links, we have created an app to track the progress at each level,

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Key features of Links Hierarchy:

• Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

Links HIerarchy.PNG

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kathryn Vargas _Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Hello @Maria Chec

Jira allows you to create an issue type above Epics, but as you and others have noted, it won't be possible to view this hierarchy without Advanced Roadmaps or a third-party app in the Atlassian Marketplace.   

One of these third-party app options is Structure, which lets you visualize default parent-child relationships in Jira (like epic > story > sub-task), but also any other issue links between stories, tasks, and other issue types (like initiatives above epics). We've written an article on how to create a hierarchy above epics using the app. 

Structure then allows you to add any Jira field as a column, so that pull all your work together in one spreadsheet-like view (for reporting, sprint planning, backlog grooming, etc.). From here, you can also sum up values in any column that contains numeric values, like Story Points and Estimates.

Here's Structure in action with a 5-level hierarchy that uses a "Linked Items" rule:

structure-5-level-hierarchy-generators.gif

I'm part of the Structure team and wanted to expand on what was mentioned – I hope this helps! 

Best, 
Kathryn

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events