Can I create a swimlane that reflects stories from a scrum board and stories from a kanban board?

Deleted user April 28, 2023

I have 2 boards, 1 scrum and 1 kanban.  I want to display the kanban stories in a swimlane on the scrum board.  Is this possible.  i.e.

Scrum board A

Kanban board B

on board A

Swimlane- board B story

Swimlane- board A story

2 answers

5 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2023

Hi @[deleted] and welcome to the Community!

No, the way you are suggesting this wouldn't work and it wouldn't make much sense. The issues on a scrum board are only the issues in the active sprint of your board. And since kanban doesn't use sprints, you could not get any issues to display there.

Theoretically, it could work the other way around. i.e. you could display the issues from your current sprint of the scrum board on a kanban board, if the following conditions are met:

• A board gets its issues through a board filter, that you can find and modify (if necessary) from Board Settings > General. Any issue that you want to see on a board must be returned by your board filter. So, in other words, in order to display the issues from the scrum board on your kanban board, they must be returned by the filter of your kanban board in the first place;
  • All statuses the issues go through on your scrum board must also be mapped to columns of your kanban board. If any statuses are not associated with columns of the board, the issues in those statuses will not be visible;
  • you should make sure to base your swimlanes on JQL filters and for the issues in the active sprint of your scrum board set up a filter like this:
Project = "Project A" AND sprint in openSprints()

where Project A represents the project (or projects) that has the issues for your scrum board and in openSprints() retrieves the active sprint of your scrum board.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Yuri Lapin _Release Management_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2023

Hi @[deleted]

Trust you are well.

As Walter explained .. not with standard capabilities.

If you are up to Partner Apps I would suggest to try out Advanced Kanban Boards for Jira. We developed a flexible configuration for swimlanes. There are couple of options:

• If Scrum board and Kanban board sit in different projects you can do swimlanes per project.
  • You can also do custom swimlanes to drop couple of sprints (e.g. previous, current and next) from scrum board as swimlanes and another swimlane for Kanban board
  • Or you can define Swimlanes by JQL and organize it the way you like.

But you would need to pay attention to Walter comment re Statuses. Ideally if they are aligned. If not, suggestion is to use column grouping and stack it vertically.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yuri.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events