Can I create a level below a subtask?

Josreny Botardo May 25, 2022

Colleagues, this time I have a question with Jira Software, can I create a subtask level below? i.e. a subtask of a subtask? thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

No to disrespect, @John Funk , but I disagree -- a little.

In fact, @Josreny Botardo, if you have a compelling use case, you can use Structure for Jira to create that "structure." Although, you probably want to create a custom issue type for that second subtask and a custom link type for linking that second "subtask" to the parent subtask.

However, John is right in that deviating from the expected Epic > Story > Subtask  hierarchy in Jira is something you need to think about carefully.  There are many built-in Jira features that will ignore this unexpected hierarchy.

I know this is confusing, but you can do this if you want to — and I know many companies that do this (or things like this). In fact, Structure was created due to a Jira enhancement request from someone asking for subtasks of subtasks in Jira, and Atlassian said, "no - we aren't going to do this."

Full disclosure:  I work for the company that makes Structure.

Hope this helps,

-dave

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

No offense taken.  :-)

Josreny Botardo May 27, 2022

@Dave Rosenlund  colleague can you tell me a manual where I can do this activity with structure please,

thanks a lot.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Kathryn Vargas _Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2022

Hi @Josreny Botardo

Picking up on behalf of my colleague @Dave Rosenlund, here's the documentation on the feature that would allow you to build such a structure, but our Solutions Team (solutions@almworks.com) would be happy to work you through more specific examples. 

Hope this helps, 
Kathryn 

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2022

Hi Josreny,

Nope - that's the lowest level. And you can't do a sub-task of a sub-task. 

Josreny Botardo May 26, 2022

Good afternoon dear, do you know any solution or alternative for cases where a lower level of subtask is required? thank you

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

No, so I wouldn't try to create that structure.  :-)

Josreny Botardo May 27, 2022

don´t you worry thanks a lot @John Funk 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2023

Hey @Josreny Botardo  - Just following up on this since it's still open. Did you ever get a solution? 

Suggest an answer