Can I create Task subtasks and Story subtasks differently in Workflow scheme?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2019

Is there a way to treat subtasks from Task issues and subtasks from Story issues differently?

1 answer

1 vote
Jean-Théo [Adaptavist]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2019

Hello Michael,

The best way to do this would be to create a separate "sub-task" issue type and have a different workflow associated to it.

The is also some possible validations that can be done if you want to make sure that each sub-task type can only be created under a specific issue type.

I hope this helps, otherwise let me know and I can try to help you further.

Best regards,

JT

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2019

So I created a workflow scheme that has two workflows.

Workflow #1 has Stories and Story Subtasks (which is a new subtask issue type I created) which push through a specific workflow which use a more complex workflow.

Workflow #2 has Tasks and Subtasks which use a more simplified workflow.

>> The is also some possible validations that can be done if you want to make sure that each sub-task type can only be created under a specific issue type.

This is where I'm struggling. When I create a Story issue type it still  only uses the regular Sub-task issue type even though I have the subtasks types assigned to different workflows. I also don't see a way to manually change the subtask issue type when I've created a Story Issue.

I checked the validators on the workflows and don't see a way to force the association unless the process is not obvious. 

Edit-Workflow-Scheme-Jira.png 

Suggest an answer