Can I copy/clone settings from a current project into a new project in Jira Software?

Daniel_Oborne September 8, 2020

I've been asked to create a new project, using the settings/issue templates/etc. from an existing project. I'm seeing a lot of how-tos on how to do this in different versions of Jira; but is there any way to do it in Jira Software?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

Hi @Daniel_Oborne 

You can create a new project, sharing a range of settings with an existing one:

1. In Jira, go to Projects > Create Project
  2. Check the box "Share settings with an existing project"
  3. Continue on to create the project

^ This will re-use the existing schemes on a new project. This doesn't clone/create new ones - it just means the new and existing projects will share common workflows, issue types, screens, fields, permissions, notifications, etc.

See more information on Shared Configuration on this page.

Note: This is for Classic projects only. It is currently not possible to share schemes across Next-Gen projects.

Ste

Daniel_Oborne September 8, 2020

Thank you. I've been told that the share settings option is available, but while trying to do this for a Next-Gen project, I haven't been seeing it.

Like # people like this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

Hi @Daniel_Oborne 

Yeah - it's not available in Next-Gen at this stage, as each project and its configuration is designed to be entirely independent from all others. 

There is a feature request to allow this though - check-out JSWCLOUD-17430 

Ste

Like # people like this
Drew McManus May 21, 2021

I have to say I get increasingly frustrated with these "nope, can't do that on a next-gen project" scenarios for something that should be an obvious default feature. When will Atlassian begin paying me for the time it takes to recreate settings that could have been saved with the option that was available in the OLDER version?

Like # people like this
David Mansueto August 18, 2021

I was stumped for a while here, perhaps project creation has changed since @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 's answer.

There is now an extra step:

1b. Follow through the prompts, selecting the same Template and Management Type as the Project you wish to Share Settings with.

Like Marcelo Castello likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2021

To add to David's instructions, this is the new process for Company-managed (formerly Classic) Projects:

1. Select Projects > Create Project
  2. Select a template - for example, Kanban
  3. Select the button Use template
  4. Select a company-managed project
  5. On the next screen, Add project details, the box Share settings with an existing project is possible to check

Ste

Like # people like this
Léo Boulanger November 5, 2021

When using this way, my Project gets a undefined error when creatign and the new project then has no settings at all, no boards and so on.

sweixelbaumer December 12, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Again it is still not possible to copy any settings from team-managed to company-managed projects.

Stephen_R March 28, 2023

Also please note, copying settings from company-managed projects is only available to paid users (or during free trial periods on Standard Plans and above).Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 7.11.16 am.png

Like programeriss likes this
1 vote
W.L April 19, 2023

Hi @Daniel_Oborne 
Jira software supports, team-managed or company-managed projects. As you are looking to reuse settings, company-managed projects are the way to go, because as others pointed out, reusing settings is not supported in team-managed projects yet.

Without addon, your best option would be to use the 'Create with shared settings' button during project creation. This helps to reuse settings, but comes with some limitations in terms of what can be copied and is also not as user friendly as specifying your own custom templates.

If that is what you are looking for, you'll find third party solutions, that allow you to create custom project templates on Jira cloud on the marketplace. Take a look:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=project%20templates%20%2B%20jira

0 votes
Jessica Venditti July 19, 2021

The hardest part of the cloning from one project to the next is the workflows. I cannot find out how to do this and have gone through a few to -do and have not found the way. We have a team-managed project and we have created a great workflow but to do manually will take some time so looking for a short cut for sure.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

Hi @Jessica Venditti 

Team-managed Projects used to be called Next-Gen.

It's not possible to share Workflows between different Team-managed projects at this stage, only Company-managed.

There is a feature request to allow this though - check-out JSWCLOUD-17430 

Ste

Jessica Venditti August 2, 2021

Thanks - I was able to re-create to get this completed.

Nita Sexton November 5, 2021

Any easy work arounds for this issue at this time other than manually doing a do-over?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events