Can I calculate standard deviation for a series of velocity results?

Alex Eldridge May 5, 2023

Hello -

I am looking for a way to show the consistency of team velocity over time.  I am thinking one way to do this would be to graph a series of velocity results from sprints, along with the standard deviation, similar to the control chart view.   A low deviation would indicate consistency and predictability for velocity.

Does anyone know of a tool or available report to achieve this goal?  I could manually pull results and graph them but was hoping for a quicker off the shelf solution.

5 answers

1 vote
Mariana_Pryshliak_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

Hello @Alex Eldridge 

If you're ok with using third-party add-ons, I guess trying Time in Status for Jira Cloud. With its help you can generate main 7 types of status time reports (Time in status, Assignee time, etc) and Cycle time report. 

Cycle Time.gif

If you need more customized reports, here are the Pivot table reports, which you can set in a various ways.

All reports are available for exporting in CSV or XLSX files for further analysis. Or you can share them with the third-party analytical systems.

Also, here's a helpful article you can explore: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Jira-time-reports-Track-Export-Share/ba-p/2258684

This add-on is developed by my SaaSJet team. Please, let me know if you have any questions.

I hope you find it helpful.

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 10, 2023

Hi @Alex Eldridge

As an alternative, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status.

This app has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app.

• You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to the working calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 10, 2023

Hi @Alex Eldridge

As an alternative, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status.

This app has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app.

• You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to the working calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
May 9, 2023

Hello @Alex Eldridge

I think our app Time in Status fits here very nicely.

Literally, Velocity means the total story points completed in a sprint. On the other hand, issue resolution times and their change over time also can be used as a perspective of velocity.

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee.

You can combine the time for multiple statuses to get metrics like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png    tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png

The important point is: Our app can calculate averages, median, and Standard Deviation for these times.

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects for Jira Cloud.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2023

Hi @Alex Eldridge 

How often do you need to do this?

If you need this often, I recommend looking at the Atlassian Marketplace for dashboard gadgets/reporting which do this better than Atlassian's interpretation of a control chart.  Although some of these addons are not very open about their interpretation of data and their math/statistics usage, and so experimentation may be required to use them effectively.

If you do not need this often, and want to fully understand the data, reporting, and outliers, you could do as you said and export the data into a reusable spreadsheet for this reporting.

One more idea: rather than analyzing sprint velocity, instead consider using throughput (count of things), cycle times (e.g., build cycle time), and age of WIP for your analysis.  Velocity is often based on story points, which can serve a purpose to check shared understand, yet that basis makes it less valuable for the level of analysis you seem to be describing.

Kind regards,
Bill

Alex Eldridge May 7, 2023

Hi Bill - thanks for the advice.  To start with I am going to manually populate a spreadsheet and use that to keep track.  If I need something with more horsepower I will look to the Marketplace.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events