Can I build a workflow in Production without affecting existing issues?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

I'd like to replicate in Production a story workflow and two simple sub-task workflows that have been tested and approved in the Sandbox.  In Production, I think that until I link the workflow to a workflow scheme, I won't be affecting existing issues.  The workflow statuses are unique to the workflows.

Similarly, I think I can avoid affecting existing issues if I build but don't enable automations; and create screens and custom fields but don't link them to schemes.

Please confirm and/or comment.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin and welcome to the Community!

You are correct about the workflow. Even if you use existing statuses in your new workflow, as long as you do not link it to a workflow scheme (that is actively used in a project, even), your work won't affect any existing issues.

Before the new workflow becomes active (and impacts issues), you will need to publish the workflow scheme, making the workflow active. Jira will then detect the change and guide you through a wizard that helps you map old statuses to new ones for the issues that will get the new workflow. It is in that controlled process that you will - eventually - see the impact on your issues. But no worries before that point!

The same applies to the other configuration elements you mention. You are totally on the right track!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

You are correct, as long as the workflow is not linked to an issue type it will not affect existing issues. And the same thing applies to your screens and automations.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events