Can I assign a team to an initiative?

lisa December 2, 2020

Can I assign a team to an initiative?

And what is exactly the difference between team & project? 

THANK YOU!

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Hi @lisa,

Yes, you can assign a team to an initiative. You can do so from the Roadmap view in an advanced roadmap plan. Or you can do it directly on your Jira issues, but then there's 2 conditions: make sure the Team custom field is included on your issue screens (Project Settings -> Screens) and your teams must be Shared Teams in advanced roadmaps.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your second question. A project is what needs to be done while a team is the group of people who will do it. But I'm afraid that's not really the explanation you are hoping for :-/ ...

lisa December 2, 2020

Thank you so much Walter for getting back to me so quickly. 

1) Assign team to initiative
I was trying to see how I can do this in the plan itself. See also screenshot below. But when I go to "Team", my "projects" are shown. This is also why I was confused with my second question below

2) Project vs. Team

My question was more about that I don't understand how in Jira the setting of team and project differs. As originally our idea was to set up per team a project. But now I got confused after I saw there is also a "team" feature in Jira

Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 17.30.13.png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Aha, that makes more sense now :-)

When you create a plan from multiple boards, advanced roadmaps generates a team for you automatically based off the name of the board (or project). You can see that as the Team name appears twice:

• once as part of your project's name
  • once as the team created for that project

If you click on the Teams link (next to the selected Roadmap in your screenshot), you will see those team's names. And you will be able to edit them there and give them a name that makes more sense.

My original statement statement still stands though :-) / the confusion here comes forth mainly from the title of your projects combined with advanced roadmaps generating the team names automatically by pasting " Team" after the project name.

lisa December 3, 2020

Thank you for the explanation. I indeed did not get that the team was already created by me adding a project to my plan. 

Do you have any idea then what the difference is with the "manual" team I can create? I tried to create a team "engagement" Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 17.51.24.pngwhich is not assigned to a specific project.  

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Hi @lisa,

Yes. That team is a way to group people you work with across all your Atlassian applications and make it easier to collaborate. You can read about them here.

It does not have anything to do with advanced roadmaps. 

lisa December 7, 2020

So the "team" field in advanced roadmaps is only using the board team names but I cannot add a "team" I manually create in this same field?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

Hi Lisa, yes you can. The teams you see in the Team custom field are managed in Shared teams.

You access them through Plans > View shared teams.

If you create a team in a plan (like e.g. the board teams that get created automatically when you create a new plan), you can turn it into a shared team as well by clicking the share button from that team:

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 15.11.33.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events