Can I add to the data displayed on Sprint board cards?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

Can I add links or fields to the data displayed on Sprint board cards?  I have subtasks that contain links to the parent issues (stories) and vice versa, and I'd like these links to be displayed on the Sprint board cards.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Hello @Phil Bustin 

Are you working with a board for a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

You cannot change the fields that are displayed on cards in an agile board created automatically for a Team Managed project. 

As @Ditte Simard mentioned, you can add to the fields that are displayed on cards in an agile board for a Company Managed project. You can add up to three fields.

In a Company Managed project's agile board the subtasks should display indented under their parent story, if the subtasks are within scope of the board's filter. But there is no option to list all the subtask issue keys on the parent issue card, as that is not a "field" provided by Jira.

You can add "Parent" to the cards, and that will display the Summary of the parent issue on the Subtask cards. However, you cannot specify on which cards that field will display so it will display on all cards. If there is not a value for that field for that particular card then it will show "None".

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.34.06 AM.png

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

I realized after I posted this that the sub-tasks are indeed displayed within a header showing the parent, and that's great.

I believe he project is company-managed, so I will try the card layout.  Thank you both.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2023

Must be a Team-managed board, because although I was able to select 3 fields, they didn't appear in the cards.  Just for fun, where do I confirm the managed property of the board?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

If you look at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left you will see a statement telling you if the project is Team Managed or Company Managed.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.51.47 PM.png

It must be a Company Managed project because you would not even find the Card Layout option for a Team Managed project board.

In the Card Layout screen you have the option to add the fields to cards in the Backlog and a separate section to add fields to cards on the Board. Are you sure you added the fields in the section for cards on the Board?

Can you show us the Card Layout screen for your board, where you added the fields? And also show us the cards on the board itself?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2023

Bingo!  I wondered why there were two placed to add fields.  If only I could read!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ditte Simard
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

If you go to "Configure Board" and then "Card Layout", you can see all the fields that you can add to your cards.  In my Jira instance, I did not see a way to show the story/sub-task linkage.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events