• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can Epics have Sub-Epics?

We use Epics as projects, however some projects have any number of sub-projects where designating them to a story or sub-issue would be counter-productive and designating an Epic to be a control Epic for subordinate Epics (projects) would be preferable. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

An epic cannot have another epic linked to it using the Epic Link field, however two Epics can be linked using standard link features (i.e. relates to, duplicates,...)

Also Epics can have Subtasks in the same way a Story or Bug can... and also can have any Standard Issue type linked to it using the Epic Link special field.

In addition, you can use third-party apps, like Porfolio for Jira or Structure to create custom cascading relations.

Regards

2 votes

No, the heirarchy in plain Jira is Epic -> Story -> Sub-task.

If you want more, you'll need one of the apps that enable more layers - Structure or Portfolio for example. 

Good timming! We said the same hahaha

Actually after toying with adding a test Epic, I answered my own question, and despite what Nic said, I found it is achievable.  The way it appears achievable is that as an Epic is created, you can add issues to it in the form of stories.  However after defining a story as if it were a new (sub-) project, you can then select the stories icon and change it to an Epic of its own.  The new Epic stays subordinate to parent Epic but can now contain stories of its own.

Like # people like this

Ron, that is exactly how I figured this out the other day. Since this is doable - same should be achievable via GUI, @JIRA ?

But loses all the functionality associated with Story/Epic links.

When trying on our Classic Project, changing an Issue to an Epic does not create a sub-Epic. It makes it a completely new EPIC just added to the list of existing EPICS. So nothing gained.

Yep, it's not achievable, it might look like it's done it, but it really has not.

The ability to structure stories in a nested fashion would be a great help.  I think having just two levels (Epic > Story) is too limited to organize your backlog. It's getting too messy if you have lots of stories.   This should be a standard feature.  @Jira

In the meantime, I will be looking in workarounds like plugins.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,105 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you