Calculations in Automations

Henk Heijmink May 3, 2023

Hi all, I have 3 custom fields that contain numerical values. (say a, b and c) I want to set up an automation that is fills a 4th custom field with the value of a x b x c.

The values are actually a number that represent severity, probability and easy of detection for a specific bug. The multiplication of these number a x b x c will produce a number called RPN (Risk Priority Number) that will indicate the priority to work on fixing a bug.

It's a bit silly that we have to manually doc this calculation is any of the parameters change, so I was wondering if an automation is possible to do this?

I'm not so familiar with Jira yet, so your help is appreciated.
Thanks!

6 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Henk Heijmink ,

you can use automation smart values. Example below...

{{issue.CF1}} * {{issue.CF2}} * {{issue.CF3}}

You basically use the edit issue action and select your CF4 and set the value to the above expression.

Thanks Jack! Very helpful!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hello @Henk Heijmink 

You can use the smart value math expressions -> https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-math-expressions/ in your automations.

Thanks Fazila! Very helpful!

Like Fazila Ashraf likes this
0 votes
Harry Potter June 28, 2023

Great work, This question is very good and I appreciate the users who answered it. I also used this technique with my website.

You can visit here.

Thanks!

0 votes
Claas Babendererde May 30, 2023

{{#=}}{{issue.customfield_10091}}{{/}}{{issue.customfield_10090}}{{*}}{{issue.customfield_10081}}{{*}}{{issue.customfield_10092/100}}

Anyone got feedback to this calculation which leads to the error EINIGE FEHLER (some errors/non specified)?

1st. I set triggers

2nd. I added smart-value-variable {{totalscore}} (does not know if that is actually necessary)

3rd variable creation (total score field value) with the above posted calculation.

0 votes
Claas Babendererde May 26, 2023

Hey guys,

I really appreciate your q&a as it helps me with orchestrating a calculation on the score of tickets combining Foxly Score and other values like customer mrr, ticket views or ticket votes.

However, using smart values I am troubled with the #= expression, as there are no fields suggested.

Let's assume my ticket fields are "Upvoty Votes" with a numeric value, same as "Upvoty Views".

When I type down "{{x=" I thought there'd be a popup dropdown of all my available fields. However, I do not find a solution on how to express the different ticket fields that I have in the project.

Can somebody help?

0 votes
Marion Lepmets _SoftComply_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Henk Heijmink,

In case you need a good overview of the risks in addition to their calculation, there is a number of risk apps for Jira available on Atlassian Marketplace that could come in handy.   

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events