Calculation between 2 custom fields (Probability x Impact)

Amrik Birdi June 28, 2021

Hello,
I hope you can help.
I have 2 custom fields (select list (single choice)) with values
Probability:

• unspecified
  • very unlikely
  • unlikely
  • likely
  • very likely
  • almost certain

with values of
0 = unspecified
1 = very unlikely
2 = unlikely
3 = likely
4 = very likely
5 = almost certain

Impact

• unspecified
  • insignificant
  • minor
  • moderate
  • major
  • catastrophic

with values of:
0 = unspecified
1 = insignificant
2 = minor
3 = moderate
4 = major
5 = catastrophic

I'm a complete novice to ScriptRunner but what I would like to see is

As an example:
from Probability - if I was to select 'unlikely' and from
from Impact - if I was to select 'moderate'

I would want the outcome of 6 (2 x 3) appearing as an integer in another custom field.

I would appreciate you r help in the resolution

Version of ScriptRunner: 5.6.1.1-jira8

Version of JIRA (server) 8.3.3

regards

Amrik

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Hi @Amrik Birdi

For your requirement, I would suggest using the Scripted Field. For more information, you can visit the ScriptRunner Documentation.

Also, please update the current version of ScriptRunner you are using to the latest release i.e. 6.28.0 as there been many bug fixes since the current version you are using.

Below is an example working code for your reference:-

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.customFieldManager

def probability = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Probability")[0]
def probabilityValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(probability).toString()
def probabilityMap = ["Unspecified" : 1, "Very Unlikely" : 2, "Unlikely" : 3, "Likely" : 4, "Very Likely" : 5, "Almost Certain": 6]

def impact = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Impact Option")[0]
def impactValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(impact).toString()
def impactMap = ["Unspecified" : 1, "Insignificant" : 2, "Minor" : 3, "Moderate" : 4, "Major" : 5, "Catastrophic": 6]

def probabilityNumber = 0
def impactNumber = 0

if(probabilityValue != "null" && impactValue != "null") {
probabilityNumber = probabilityMap.find{ it.key == probabilityValue }.value as Long
impactNumber = impactMap.find{ it.key == impactValue }.value as Long
}
return (probabilityNumber * impactNumber) as Long

Please note, this sample code is not 100% exact to your environment. Hence, you will need to make the required modifications.

To setup, the scripted field, go to the Fields option and select the Create Scripted Field option as shown below:-

image1.png

Next, select the Custom Script Field option as shown below:-

image2.png

Next, provide the Field Name you want to use and select the Number Field type as shown below:-

image3.png

Next, add the code to the script field and Update it as shown below:-

code_config.png

Below are a few tests:-

1) First, create an issue and select the values for the Probability and Impact lists and create the ticket as shown below:-

image5.png

2) The Scripted Field is only visible on the View Screen and not on the Create or Edit Screen. Once the issue has been created, the Scripted Field will display the output as shown below:-

image6.png

3) Try updating the Probability or Impact options, and you will see the Scripted Field will update as well as shown below:-

image7.png

image8.png

I hope this helps to solve your question. :)

Thank you and Kind Regards,

Ram

Amrik Birdi June 28, 2021

Hi Ram

thankyou so much in getting intouch with me but for some reason or another its not working for me.

Is it possible to tell me where i need to make the modifications?

kind regards

Amrik

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Hi @Amrik Birdi

If you have just copied the code and pasted it in your environment, it will not work.

The differences that I have in my environment are

1) The Impact field in my environment is called Impact Option, as shown below:-

def impact = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Impact Option")[0]

so you may need to rename the field in the code to match yours i.e.

def impact = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Impact")[0]

2) The options from the list provided in the code contain Uppercase characters. However, in your description, you have only used lower case characters. You may want to take a look at that as well.

If you could share a print screen of your field configurations, i.e. for the Probability and the Impact field, it would be helpful.

Thank you and Kind Regards,

Ram

Amrik Birdi June 29, 2021

Hi @Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_ many thanks for your answers. I have managed to modify accordingly

Akshith Kumar March 23, 2022

@Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_ 

I tried your script but its not working for me

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2022

Hi @Akshith Kumar

Can you please share the script you are using? 

If you are getting any errors, please include the error logs that is being returned.

Also, please share a print screen of your fields configuration.

Thank you and Kind regards,

Ram

Akshith Kumar March 24, 2022

Counter Measures field.PNGImpact field.PNGLikelihood field.PNGTest Issue.PNG 

Akshith Kumar March 24, 2022

@Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_ 

I have used the below script in RPN Script field let me know if I need to do any changes in the script

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.customFieldManager

def Impact = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Impact")[0]
def ImpactValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(Impact).toString()
def ImpactMap = ["Not Applicable-0" : 0, "Insignificant-1" : 1, "Minor-2" : 2, "Minor-3" : 3,"Moderate-4" : 4, "Moderate-5" : 5, "Moderate-6": 6, "Major-7": 7, "Catastophic-8": 8, "Catastophic-9": 9, "Catastophic-10": 10]

def Likelihood = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Likelihood")[0]
def LikelihoodValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(Likelihood).toString()
def LikelihoodMap = ["Not Applicable-0" : 0, "Rare-1" : 1, "Unlikely-2" : 2, "Unlikely-3" : 3, "Possible-4" : 4, "Possible-5" : 5, "Likely-6": 6, "Likely-7" : 7, "Certain-8" : 8, "Certain-9" : 9, "Certain-10" : 10]

def CounterMeasures = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectsByName("Counter Measures")[0]
def CounterMeasuresValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(CounterMeasures).toString()
def CounterMeasuresMap = ["Not Applicable-0" : 0, "Best in Class-1" : 1, "Strong-2" : 2, "Strong-3" : 3, "Average-4" : 4, "Average-5" : 5, "Average-6": 6, "Weak-7" : 7, "Weak-8" : 8, "Weak-9" : 9, "None-10" : 10]

def ImpactNumber = 0
def LikelihoodNumber = 0
def CounterMeasuresNumber = 0

if(ImpactValue != "null" && LikelihoodValue != "null" && CounterMeasuresValue != "null") {
ImpactNumber = ImpactMap.find{ it.key == ImpactValue }.value as Long
LikelihoodNumber = LikelihoodMap.find{ it.key == LikelihoodValue }.value as Long
CounterMeasuresNumber = CounterMeasuresMap.find{ it.key == CounterMeasuresValue }.value as Long
}
return (ImpactNumber * LikelihoodNumber * CounterMeasuresNumber ) as Long

Suggest an answer