Calculating fields using Jira automation

Emily Bleything August 10, 2021

Hello,

I am trying to use automation to calculate a field I have created (RICE).

The calculation is Reach x Impact x confidence/Effort.

I have tried using this logic 

{{#=}}{{issue.fields.reach}} * {{issue.fields.impact}} * {{issue.fields.confidence}} / {{issue.fields.effort}} {{/}}

I keep getting errors  saying I have an unknown operator * at the character position. Does anyone know if I am missing something?Capture.PNG

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

Hi Emily,

It looks like you are missing a value (field is probably empty) and it is not handling that. Seems to be the field called Impact. 

I would check the value of all of those fields for the issue it is running against so make sure none are empty.

I would also setup a default value for each field so that in the future you don't run into the same error. 

Emily Bleything August 10, 2021

Thank you John, I think that has solved an issue , but I am now getting an error on missing parameters. Please could you advise?Capture.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

I don't think it will make a difference, but you don't need the word "fields" in there. Just take it out. 

If no difference, can you share the entire rule? 

Emily Bleything August 11, 2021

Hi John, 

I noticed we had another custom field called 'Impact' which was not a numeric field and I must have selected the wrong one in my rule. Added the correct one and it's working now. Thank you for your help :) 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2021

Great! Glad you figured it out.  :-)

0 votes
Peter Revay September 30, 2022

Hi All,

I have a similar problem with the same error, but the resolution eludes me.
It seems that I have multiple custom fields but I have no control what is being selected from the dropdown (when/where value change is monitored).

two questions came to my mind:
1 - what type the custom field has to be (I'm assuming number)

2 - is there a way to manage custom fields and remove the unused ones?

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 19.14.02.pngScreenshot 2022-09-29 at 19.13.36.png

Peter Revay September 30, 2022

when I select the field, only one appears from these above

0 votes
Alex Woodbridge September 22, 2022

Hi Emily, 

I am looking to implement a similar automation, would you be able to share a screenshot of your flow?

Thanks

Emily Bleything September 22, 2022

Hi Alex, 

I created the rule for RICE scoring using this method (I created 4 custom fields first) Hope this helps.

Rice 3.PNG

Rice 2.PNG

Rice Score = {{#=}}{{issue.reach}} * {{issue.impact}} * {{issue.confidence}}/{{issue.effort}}{{/}}

Vikas Gupta March 20, 2023

Hi @Emily Bleything  Is there a way to do this based on the non numeric fields? Can I assign a dummy variable say impact = 2 if the value is low, 4 if high etc. and then calculate the Rice Score using the variable? 

Like # people like this
gaurav_jain July 21, 2023

hey @Vikas Gupta  @Emily Bleything ... were you able to find a way to achieve this ? Have a value for the dropdown list label ?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events