Calculate total story points in a given month

Matthew Ragone September 8, 2020

I need a JQL that can do all the following:

1) Add all story points of stories, bugs, new features, and improvements in a given month.

2) Only count story points greater than 0 and anything larger than 20 is a waste.

3) I need the filter to be reusable so it can be applied month-to-month.

4) I need the total story points displayed in confluence.

2 answers

0 votes
Darrel Jackson September 8, 2020

Can you provide a bit more context on why you're wanting this report? Is this because you're managing one or more Scrum teams and you're trying to measure various sprint-based metrics?

If so, there is a lot of out of the box functionality to report on Sprint metrics that are probably better suited than a JQL Filter.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

Hello @Matthew Ragone 

Welcome to the community.

Jira will not calculate story point totals in that way, out of the box. You will have to look into an app that will give you that sort of additional reporting capabilities. Here are some of the challenges.

- JIRA doesn't track the month in which a story is completed. It tracks the full date a story was completed, and does not provide any filtering or aggregation based on the month of completion.

- You want a "reusable" query. If you want a query that you can use each month without modification each month, then you could use something in the filter like 

resolutiondate > startofmonth() and resolutiondate<endofmonth()

but the filter would have to be run each month to collect the data. JIRA doesn't provide a method OTB to "prompt" for a user to supply a value to plug into a filter.

You might be able to find an app that would generate a bar chart for you, aggregating the data per month specified in the resolution date, and totaling the Story Points field. Then your query would just need to filter for the issues based on project, type, and story points being greater than 0 and less than 20.

Matthew Ragone September 8, 2020

Thank you so much!

Do you have any suggestions of apps I could use for this? I am extremely new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ahmed Arslan January 19, 2021

Hello @Matthew Ragone 

Can you try installing this one: https://eazybi.com/products/eazybi-reports-and-charts-for-jira

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events