Calculate end date based on resource allocation and estimated days

Karl Jackson February 3, 2023

Hi

I need to be able to calculate the end date of the development feature based on the number of assigned people.

Scenario

I have front-end work that will take 30 days to complete with 1 person. The target start date is July 1st. If I add another person assigned to the feature, it may take 15 days, pulling the completion date from July 30th to July 15th.

Is there a Jira integration that does this? Do I really need to do this in a spreadsheet?

2 answers

0 votes
Meghan LaClair February 7, 2023

Hi @Karl Jackson 

If you are open to 3rd party solutions we've created an automated solution for this at minware. 

Our roadmap automatically shows dependencies, weighs weekends, and in addition to being able to roll down from epic to subtask we offer a breakdown by task assignee so that you can coordinate with your team. 

Predictive Roadmap.png

Since our dashboards are created by uniquely combining version control, ticketing, and calendar data we can help build reliability into your estimations and teams. 

We offer a free trial, if you would like to check it out please let me know!

Disclaimer: marketplace partner

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2023

Hi @Karl Jackson

You could use the jira automation to calculate the end date. 

You can have a field that contains the info about how many resources are required in this example 2 and then use smart values to determine what the end date would be.  Jira Tickets can only be assigned to only one person so the assignee field will not work.  

Help to jira smart values for dates: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-date-and-time/ 

Automation:

- Manual Trigger/when the resource field changes -> to trigger at any time to re-calculate de effort

- Action -> Grab the start date and add the business days based on a calculation on duration.  For example if a features takes 30 days and you have 2 resources then 15 days need to be added to the start day.  (Start Date + addworkingdays(30/# of resources)

I hope this helps

Karl Jackson February 5, 2023

I created a new field 'Resource Count' but it's not clear which action should be used. I see that we need to use advanced actions given it's a custom field, but they all seem to be setting a variable. 

Screenshot 2023-02-05 103906.pngScreenshot 2023-02-05 104020.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events