CURL Jira REST APIs with Basic Auth

Alexandru Popa September 20, 2021

Hi,

I'm creating a Bitbucket Pipeline with a custom task to get Jira issues data via REST API and basic auth, but from what I understand a user it's needed in order to create an API token.

Is there a way or special environment variable to use as Basic Auth in Bitbucket Pipeline instead of creating a fake user inside Jira? It would avoid creating a Jira user only for this special purpose: to create a basic auth which will be used inside the Bitbucket Pipeline. It's just a waste of user registrations.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2021

Hello @Alexandru Popa ,

When using basic auth you still use it with an Atlassian account email address and an API token to pass the authentication, and the following document gives the details on how to do this:

However, as noted in the KB we recommend using oAuth 2.0 instead when building an app:

Basic authentication is not as secure as other methods. We recommend you use OAuth 2.0 authorization code grants (3LO)  for any apps you create in the developer console  that don't use Atlassian Connect. If you're using Connect, see Security for Connect apps.

So the oAuth method would also fit the scenario you described, of not having to create a dedicated user as an  API account as it sets up a validated app token separate from a user account using add-on app permissions instead.  i.e. apps don't use up a user seat.

I recommend checking out the mentioned  OAuth 2.0 authorization code grants (3LO) document as a great getting started point.

Regards,
Earl

Alexandru Popa September 22, 2021

Oh ok, so the only way is OAuth 2.0. I was hoping for less overkill in doing it in bash script.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events