CSV Export from a JIRA search result

Ioan September 25, 2020

When exporting CSV files from a JIRA search, I can't seem to get all the fields I need.

I tried exporting with either "My Defaults" and "Filter" options for columns, every time using Export CSV current fields. The results vary but I can't get all columns that I need: the columns I see in the webview are not the same with the columns I get in CSV.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

Hey @Ioan  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

So if you pull up the filter directly, does it have all of the fields you want to see without modifying the filter at all? If so, you should get those fields when you do the export.

If you modify the filter results, such as changing columns or the query itself, you need to save those results first. Then exit out and go back into the filter directly to be sure that the columns that you want are there. 

Ioan September 25, 2020

Hey @John Funk , glad to be here!

Thanks for the tip. I can indeed get the filters to show me exactly what I'm looking for. I'll keep in mind to always save before generating a csv report and also reset the page.

Kind of a pro tip that many can miss, tho :)

This csv reports are super useful for reporting. While the JIRA query is already useful, processing the data in xcel gives way more flexibility when looking for something in particular so maybe you guys can consider making this (yet another) useful feature more intuitive.

Like John Funk likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

i guess we could if we worked for Atlassian. ;-)

As I am on Cloud I make use of Jira Cloud for Excel (Official) which works much better than export IMO.

Ioan September 25, 2020

Heh, then maybe this trickles to the dev team somehow...

It's not a trivial matter imo.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2020

What fields are you interested in that you are not getting? Have you tried using the all fields option? If you do so you will indeed get all available fields. It is worth noting that some data displayed in the application are calculated fields and as such will not show in the export.

Ioan September 25, 2020

Hi Jack, I tried to get one custom field and Resolved one. Sometimes I managed, most often I didn't. Moreover, Resolved is replaced by Updated, which is not the same thing.

When attempting to export ALL fields, Summary was missing (and I needed it).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2020

hmmm, something not right about this at all. I have no issue w/ export and certainly the Summary field is there. can you share a screenshot of your filter and results?

@John Funk , i have never had to save a filter before exporting. I just did a quick test of removing a column and export worked as expect w/o any saving. Am i missing something?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2020

That's just what I have had to do if it didn't export what I was seeing at the time - which has happened on various occasions.  :-)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer