Burndown Chart does not reflect correctly as per the values provided

Saichitra V March 25, 2019

I have followed the below procedure to check the Burndown chart but unfortunately I am not getting a valid one,Please help me as which step am I missing to update?

1 .Created SCRUM Project

2. Add Backlog items

3.Created Sprint

4.Provided Estimated time

5. Logged time

6. Status of the project has been set.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

There is no greenline in the Burndown chart for the Time spent and the number of hours provided is not reflecting. Am I missing something to update?

Also how do I read the Burndown chart?

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2019

Hi @Saichitra V 

So the sprint started on the 8th March, but at that stage you had no estimates added. Looking at the middle image, estimates were added (and increased) on the 18th March, which is why the red line went up so high.

If you go to Board settings and the Estimation tab, check that your settings are similar to mine, as shown below - the Time Spent is what gives you the green line that you're expecting

Screenshot_1.jpg

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2019

On your Burndown screen, change the dropdown from Original time estimate to Remaining time estimate as well

Thank you, I tried doing it but not sure if its displaying correctly.

image.png

Also could you please explain me the ideal way/steps to start a project and what has to be updated on a daily basis by the team members to reflect the valid Burndown chart.

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2019

You should estimate all the tickets that are going into the next sprint, so that when you start your sprint, the red line will be at it's highest point. We set some time aside every week for the team to do backlog refining, but this should happen at least once every sprint.

Ideally, each team member should log the time that they've spent working on their tickets, at least once a day. I like to encourage the team to have it done by the end of the day. If they only do this at the end of the week, your burndown will have large steps down rather than a smoother slope.

Like Saichitra V likes this

Thank you but how will the estimates need to be updated?

Should the main task be updated with the estimate? or only sub-tasks need to be updated with the estimated ? or both Main and Sub tasks have to be estimated ? as this will override the estimates.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2019

Hi @Saichitra V 

It would have been helpful to show us the burndown that you're getting and explain why you believe it is wrong.

From your list, 3 and 4 should have been swapped - you want to have all the items estimated first. You haven't shown Start sprint - did you do that?

Yes, I have first estimated and then created SPRINT.I do have started the SPRINT.

Below is the image of Burndown chart

image.png

image.pngimage.png

Suggest an answer