Burn Down Chart filtering

Andrew Carroll August 24, 2018

My Business Unit has a Project Board covering our entire backlog, but have 4 agile teams working on the epics and stories within it.

I want to be able to produce separate Burn Down Charts for each team (named Magenta, Blue, Green & Red. These are set up in the Quick Filters and work fine when viewing the Backlog and Active Sprints

The Burn Down chart  documentation states that the report is specific to a Board and the active filters applied to it.

However, when I click on reports a Burn Down chart appears showing all user stories for all teams and seems to ignore the filters. There is no option to apply a filter within the report.

Have I misinterpreted the documentation or can this be done?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2018

If you want separate burndowns you must have separate boards. the burndown chart is not effected by quick filters. Unless of course something has changed in newer versions which is certainly possible. 

0 votes
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2018

Hi @Andrew Carroll,

Welcome to the community!

Let's work through this together.  What type of project are you using.  In the documentation here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/burndown-chart-777002653.html

there are different steps for the scrum/kanban projects than there are for agility/featured projects.

Can you please tell me whether you are using cloud or server and the project type?

Hope I can help!

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the quick reply.

our JIRA install is  server based and the project type is Software

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2018

Ok @Andrew Carroll,

Which Jira version are you using? 

Do you have separate boards set up for each team?

We are using v7.4.3

No, we have one board across all teams

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2018

you need to break into four boards. can you share where you might be reading that the quick filters influence the burndown chart?

Hi Jack, That's a bummer, I was hoping to be able to keep the Project and Backlog as a "Global" view whilst seeing the reports at a team level. We'll have to review how we would like to organise our work.

The specific mention of filters for Burndown Charts was on the Documentation page here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/burndown-chart-777002653.html?_ga=2.49798822.1210751781.1534946246-663555643.1511341513

First bullet point under Understanding The Burndown Chart, although it didn't refer to Quick Filters

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2018

What @Jack Brickey said above is correct and what I was getting to, albeit a bit slower :)

Maksymilian Sila-Nowicki February 18, 2022

Hi Andrew, you can have one backlog and general board and 4 scrum boards based on filters just for the Burndown charts

Suggest an answer